Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp problems, svt-2pro or svt-4pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noosence, Aug 7, 2001.

1. i own a swr grand-prix pre amp, crown ce-2000 power amp and a ampeg SVT-1840HE. it has great tone and is pretty loud but its not as loud as id expect it to be. especialy considering that im bridging the amp @ 4ohms (1950watts). so ive decided to sell my pre amp and power amp and get either an svt-4pro or a svt-2pro. i know either with sound amazing and $$$ doesnt matter, which 1 is louder? 300watts all tube or 1200watts mosfet or 1950watts solid state?

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    aren't mosfet and solid state the same thing? if not what's the difference?

anyway... im pretty sure that if the crown wasn't enough power for you, neither of those ampeg heads will either.. i would suggest buying another poweramp if you really need that much power. Plus you are going to notice that the ampeg is a lot less hi-fi of a sound... its dirty...i really like it, but you might not if you're coming from SWR. If you keep your current setup, buy a SVP-Pro and another poweramp, you'll have both sounds AND a lot more power.. although I can't imagine why you'd need more power than you have.
    goodluck..

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    the SVT4 is MUCH louder, dude. The difference between the SVT4 and the SVT2 is the SVT2 is all tube and the SVT4 is a hybrid. The pros of the SVT2 are that it is all tube and it gives you more of the classic tube sound, but it isnt as loud and powerful as the hybrid SVT4. The SVT4 is a hybrid because it has a tube preamp and solid state mosfet power amp.

So, if youre a real tone freak get the SVT2. If you want more power, and you dont care THAT much about tone, get the SVT4. Just note that both amps DO have tube pre amps so they are pretty similar sounding IMO. Its just that tube amp purists have to have a tube power amp too.

Go for the SVT4 it is louder and more powerful, just as good as the SVT2 sound wise IMHO.

4. 300watts tube is different than 300watts solid state or mosfet. so does anyone know how many more dB the svt-4 is louder than the svt-2? (assuming svt-4 is louder)

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont know any actual statistics, but generally, solid state is louder than tube.

6. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    Not to get the old tube vs. solid state debate heated up again, but there's no way in hell any 300 watt solid state amp will come close to a 300 watt tube SVT. Not even close.

I have a tube Music Man HD 130 head [a "mere" 130 watts], and I've A/B'ed against 200 and 350 watt solid state amps. The Music Man gets WAY louder than the 200 watt SS amp, about the same volume as the 350 watt SS Ampeg I tried it against, and sounds way better. So based on that, I'd guess a tube SVT would get you to roughly the same point as a 900 to 1000 watt SS head ... just a guess.

Having said that, I'd say go with the SVT 4. Lighter, easier to take care of, and yes, probably somewhat louder than the 300 tube watt SVTs. Or maybe a second cab would do the trick? Though I agree with Falsehood Bass, it's hard to imagine needing more wattage than you already have. You must be in a pretty loud band, bro.

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I used to have an SVT4.
    My '72 SVT is much louder, has much better tone, and doesn't go into thermal protection shutdown halfway through every gig. And my Mesa 400+ is even louder. I like tubes. My two cents...

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    How much ya want for the Crown?

Mike

9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    There you go, from a man who's had them both. So, Rickenbackerman, which one do you prefer, the Mesa 400+ or the SVT?

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I like them both very much, actually. My experience with the two is that the SVT has more midrange growl and snarl, while the 400+ has more solid low end, and a bit more overall volume. Keep in mind here I'm talking about the 70's SVT, since like many others, I don't like any of the current ampeg stuff. They have different sounds, but both are both great amps... I gig more with the 400+ simply because it's lighter... an SVT in the road case weighs around 125 pounds or so... ouch.

Boogiebass has both a 400+ and an old SVT also, and I think he's in agreement with me...

11. You got that backwards there buddy. My 200 watt tube amp is louder than any 500 watt SS amp I've played through. The 300 watt SVT is the loudest thing known to man. The SVT2 is pretty much the SVT-CL power section with some extra tone shaping potions.

The SVT2 will probably be louder than the SVT4. Nino has an SVT2; he might know for sure.

12. how loud is an svt-2 compared to a mesa 100watt triple rectifier? (thats what my guitarist has). and how much would that mesa 400 watt head u were talking about cost me?