1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp problems:(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scriv, Feb 27, 2008.

1. I just bought myself an eden d410xlt and wt550. Great!:D couldn't wait to get it! However now i have it i think they may be a fault with the amp or cab. I get a buzzing sound comming out of it, this gets louder if i turn up the gain or master volume but is reduced loads when i turn all the treble off. if i touch a metal part of my bass or the amp then it is reduced but can still hear a hum. I don't think its my bass as i have tried it with both my marcus miller jazz and my old ibanez gio and get the same thing happening. any one else experience this problem? obviously having just got the amp im quite reluctant to have to send it back, but if thats what i need to do then its not a problem.

could it be a problem with DC voltage and get it checked out by a technition?

if anyone could suggest what problems it might be that would be great, or maybe its just me not setting my EQ and levels right!

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    It sounds like a grounding issue, have you tried plugging the amp into a different outlet/circuit?

3. +1. Also, make sure you are wearing shoes when messing around with it, at least until you figure out if it is a grounding problem or not.

4. Does it do it with nothing pluged into the amp but a power cord and a speaker?

Try plugging and unplugging something into the FX sends and returns a few times.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1 to the above. In addition, get an outlet tester. Some amps are more susceptible than others.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    are you using a SHIELDED instrument cable?? it should say "instrument cable" on it. are you standing near a TV, computer monitor or flurescent light??

7. Even wiring in churches (of all places) gets added onto and spliced and hacked and molested by less than qualified people. When I play I use a surge strip with a ground indicator. If that light is not on, I will not play until that outlet is checked by a qualified electrician. Sounds greedy, but rather piss someone off than have a heart condition for the rest of my life.

8. thanks for all your suggestions. I have tried most of them an still seem to hear the same thing but im thinkin the amp is probably fine its probably just me being parnoid. I know my my bass(i use a marcus miller jazz) is quite sensitive.

Also the problem only really occurs/ is really noticable is when the master volume at half way or more. If im not playing the bass i will hear a hiss from the amp but when i play i cant really hear it. Also for recording purposes you wouldn't need it that loud anyway would you? and in a gig situation you wouldn't hear it as the ratio of volume to bass would be good enough.

I guess my last quick question is, how else uses eden amps and do they hear a hiss when the volume is cranked quite loud when they are not playing?

Thanks so much for all your suggestions again.:D

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use a wt550 every sunday, my amp, I run the gain about 11 o'clock and the master around noon. YES!, when I stop playing and the room is really quiet I hear the tweeter hissing away. If I was at home or in a much smaller room it would be more noticeable. some times I notice a "hum" a lower frequency sound, probably 60hz from the transformer. I bet alot of the hissing is from the preamp tube. its normal on the 550 and YES YOU ARE PARANOID!!! :D

AS far as "buzzing" which I would either attribute to a grounding/shielding issue OR bad or wrong guitar cables.

try flipping the "lift/grnd" switch on the back and see if that helps

10. Thanks dude thats really reassuring!:D i am paranoid! i shall be able to sleep tonight! i guess i shall probably never notice in during rehearsals, can't wait to try it out! (the house creeks when i crank the volume so can't play too loud at home!:p

im pretty sure the buzzing is my bass's single coil pickups cos it does it with my old ashdown electric blue 180.I use a speaker cable (don't know what gauge but its pretty thick) to connect the amp to the cab. I'll buy a decent new cable as well to see if it makes a difference also

thanks again!:bassist: