Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kwanzai, May 25, 2002.

1. kwanzai

kwanzai

Mar 25, 2002
    USA
    Hey Guys,

I have a Ampeg B2, but Im currently having some problems with it. I have been playing at a volume setting at about 5, with the gain at 4. I'm running the amp thru a SWR Workingman 4X10 (tweeter), but whenever i play I keep getting a fuzzy noise with my tone. It basically still has some bass sound, but is very soft and is mostly fuzz. If I turn off the amp for awhile then back on, the amp is fine for about 10 mins or so then it gets back to fuzzy. Is it an amplifier problem or a speaker problem, and what can i do to fix it?

Thanks alot

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    This sounds like a problem I had. I bought a B2R Dec. 21, 2001. The following March, I started having pretty much the same problem with mine. After putting up with it for a week, I left it on for about 2-3 hours. When I came back to it, I could smell something heating up. After a month in the shop,(waiting for parts), it was finally fixed.Turned out to be 2 capacitors, 1 resistor,and 1 diode in the pre-amp section. Everything was covered under warranty. GOOD LUCK

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    By the way, the "wait for parts" could probably be drastically be shorter if you offer to pay the shipping on the parts yourself. My service tech told me that AMPEG ships "warranty parts" the cheapest way possible(slowest).