Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, Aug 8, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know if this is off topic, but I'm concerned about the heath of my bass amp.

My band has encountered some strange electronic problems in the past 2 weeks. We practice in a basement and all of a sudden in the middle of a song, both guitarist's all tube heads totally lose thier power section. All tone, no juice. It only happened to one guy's Peavey triple X at first and we changed tubes, wiggled wired, and we just thought he had a defect. Now last night, the other guy's Carvin Legacy head did the SAME exact thing. His volume cut out in the middle of a tune. We all have power conditioners in our racks and they all read normal with safety ground checking out but there were a couple of times where the mics zapped the guys. The problem was that the ground pin was broken on the mixer board which is on a separate circuit that the amps. I don't sing and I didn't get zapped but my concern is that my rig on the same circuit as one of the amps and I pray that my Ashdown/SWR rig hasn't been affected by this. I (or anyone else for that matter) don't need the rig to go down in the middle of a gig. I have not been affected yet and I'm hoping that it's because tube amps are just more more sensitive than SS amps. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Is this just a bad coincidence?

Thanks,

mike

My band's site

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How long have you been practicing in the basement?

3. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    We've been in the basement for about 1 year now with no other problems to report.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm not sure what the problem could be then...have you changed anything recently in the way you wire everything to the electrical outlets, or has anything new been added to the circuit for that room?