Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Project... Need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Sep 30, 2004.

1. OK... let me preface by saying I am not a big tech guy and have never been. I need help from some of you gear heads before I start spending $$!

I am putting together a rig that I want to be able to use for some very loud bass, and handle some distortion and overdrive effects while being very loud.

What I have... Schecter 5 string diamond series, running from an ME50 effects system into a 400 watt Peavy head. I have been running that through a 4x10 Crate cab that has been working very well for me. Dialed in exactly the sound I wanted. That cab is borrowed though, as my normal amp is a 100 watt self-contained Crate unit which is not powerful enough for my current project. I have gigs coming up, and won't be able to use that cab on those dates, so I need to bite the bullet and set up my 150 pound monster which sits under a blanket in my music room.

I have a great vintage 69 Ampeg Collosus cab that I am going to use. It's mine, but needs new speakers. All original equipment, but the 4 12" speakers need to be reconed. It will be $80 apiece to do all four, and even then... they aren't specifically bass speakers. I want to make sure that this cab will handle 400 watts easily, and will handle an eventual upgrade to possibly even 750 watts.

So having told you all that... the quesiton is, what are some affordable 12" speakers that you would recommend for this rig? What are other things I ought to consider?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    quite honestly for 360 - 400 bucks you could get a used 410 (like an SWR goliath 2 or eden 410t to name 2) that would be specifically designed for bass, be able to handle the wattage, and would be more portable.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004