Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp purchase: yorkville 400 watt head or 800 watt head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uiop, Aug 29, 2005.

1. uiop

uiop

Aug 22, 2005
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    hey guys,
    im planning on making an amp purchase and i was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what amp to get. i am in a band and we do some small gigs but i want something that'll last a while. thanks.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Dude, cmon. First of all how about a little more info. Throw me a bone! Who, What, When, Where, Why...get it?

3. uiop

uiop

Aug 22, 2005
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    its gotta be able to keep up with my guitarist's 50 watt marshall plexi, um, i have washburn xb 125, need an amp (head) preferably less than 1000$, need something with some built in effects (distortion, compressor, noisegate). something i could use for small gigs or large (school gym size to arena(?)). something relatively portable. hope that helps.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    What kind of cabinet do you have? Also there are only a few heads that offer built in effects. For the most part, effects will end up being seperate units, such as pedals or rack gear, effects processers. These units would be used in addition to a head. Check out Line 6, or SWR Mo'bass. Go to the websites and read up.

5. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Do the XS800h: It's lighter and has more power. But watch your speaker ratings. IIRC the head is 600 watts at 8 ohms.

6. If you really need built in effects, buy a Line6 BassPodXT (or pro) and a power Amp.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yep, 600w at 8 ohms and 2 ohms, and 800w at 4 ohms...

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Sounds like the XS800H has the basics he's looking for though...

Well, less the noise gate, there's the overdrive and the compressor...do you really want to use a noise gate with a bass though? I use the one in my dbx 266xl basically set flat just to kill any hiss when I'm not playing, that's about the most I would use it to do...but to each their own!

Why do you want/need effects?

9. uiop

uiop

Aug 22, 2005
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    i dont have a cab yet, i was planning on buying one that would suit whatever amp i get. i wanted the effects just so that i wouldn't have to buy extras. i play metal, rock, i kinda needed the distortion for those. and compressor for doing slap stuff.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've had the Yorkville XS400 head for over a year now & love it. Everybody raves about the XS800, but the 400 is perfect for me. I use it with the Yorkie XC115 cab & an old Fender 4x10 & it's all I need. There is a built in compressor - it's OK, but built in compressors are never really the bomb. There's also the tube drive which is footswitchable...so there's your distortion. I personally use a Fulltone Bassdrive, but the head distortion could work for you, although I prefer to mix just enough of the drive into my clean signal for a little grit/warmth.

Great warranty, great tone, great price...

I'll say it again: Yorkville is the best kept secret in bass amplification.

11. uiop

uiop

Aug 22, 2005
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    do you think your the 400 would keep up with a 50 watt marshall plexi? that would be my biggest need, as that is what my guitarist is building.

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    yes.

13. i'd say get an xs800h with an 8 ohm cab. that way, when your guitarist upgrades to something like a mesa triple rect, your set for the situation cuz you just have to add another 8 ohm cab

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I can't fault that logic!

15. heya pat.

As his guitarist, I'll say that a 100W '73 SLP is in the works. To give you a little info on the need here, he's looking for something along these lines:

-Cheapish amp (<$1000 CDN or so).
    -Good well structured EQ, but not too complicated (I think 4 bands'd be nice).
    -Able to put out a lot of power to keep up my guitar amps (cuz right now he has the mini yorkville...the 100watt, and it can't go a toe against the plexi50).
    -A compressor built in would be nice, and some features like aural enhancers, and resonence controls....like...to go from a rather loose response for some funk stuff or hendrix stuff, right up to the tight response for the new stuff.
    -An effects loop would be very nice to have
    -The amp needs to be of a managable wattage (didn't know the 800 put out 600 into 8ohms), as he doesn't want to spend too much on the cab.

The sort of music to be played is like:
    New-school funk (old incubus, old RHCP)
    Rock (think the who and hendrix)
    Metal (Metallica, Tool)

Cheers, any help will be appreciated by both!

Nish

P.S. Anyone know of a good cab to go along with this one?

P.P.S He's also been lookin' in the direction of the YBA200 (traynor...all tube) head...what do you guys think?

16. FresnoKiwi

FresnoKiwi

May 10, 2010
    CA, USA
    Check out Carvin, they do a range of bass amps that are light weight (like 6 pounds) full featured and very powerful. You tired of these heavy amps after a while. The mono block cranks 2000 watts with sufficient load. I have a lot of their PA gear and like it a lot, never had an issue and sometimes use of in the TRX monitors as a bass speaker with great success. Played one of their basses and was impressed.
    I have an Ampeg SVT3 which I am not impressed with such that I'm getting ready to replace it with a Carvin. Fortunately I have an old Music Man HD130 and and an old bassman for backup when the so-called great Ampeg craps itself. Its suppose to be 400+ watts which I doubt, the Music Man is a much better amp, tho being older lacks all the knobs and whistles. I even went through and replaced all the preamp tubes with NOS US made tubes, which greatly improved things. The one useful thing about the Ampeg is it makes a good backup slave amp for the PA with its in/out feature, which doesn't help the bass player unless he goes through the deck, but otherwise I'd pass.

Carvin.com - Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio: Bass Amplifiers