Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Question - Car Subs w/ Bass Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanezzer, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hi I'm David and I have an interesting project that i'm trying to do. I had two really nice subs in my car, but I don't have that car anymore and I'm not planning on using them in my new car. So the question is--Can I hookup two subs that were meant for a car audio setup with a standard bass head?

Also when I was looking at Bass Head's I noticed that they all say the ratings in either 8 or 4 ohms. However my two subs are wired as 2ohms, from what I was told. The subs themsleves are dual voice coil and each voice coil is 4ohms, as to how they are wired inside the box I do not know. I'm just thinking that if i could save a little money by using these and just buying a head that it would be nice since I was already looking to buy somethign anyways.

Any feedback/guidance on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- David/Ibanezzer

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Car subs are way too inefficient. It'll sound like ass. Just don't do it.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hi, David!
    There have been quite a few other people that have wondered at this in the past. I recommend doing a search of the site. I am pretty sure the consensus here is that car subs are dependent upon cabin volume for their efficiency and don't work well for stage monitoring. You should have a more detailed answer at any time now. Good luck!

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If you're not going to use the subs anyway, just sell them or trade them for a used bass cab.

If you really feel like experimenting, just wire the speakers in series for a 4 ohm load on the head.

5. Noooooooooooo..............

Attached Files:

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    If you have the means to, take your subs and compare them against some bass specific cabinets.

I would expect you to like the bass cabs better....but go with whichever sounds best to your ears.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They'll work just fine so long as the room you're using them in is the same size as a car.

8. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    +

lol :bassist:

Thanks for the responses thus far, didn't realize that there was actually a difference, but it appears that there is from the reactions of the above posts.

- David.

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    There are really 2 seperate issues here:

1. Car audio subs are not as sensitive, as others have said.

2. They are SUB woofers, not woofers. Their frequency response drops off badly above about 200hz and bass guitar has harmonics much higher than that.

If you really want SUB-woofers, car audio subs can be decent but it's hard to find any more sensitive than about 94db (about like your average 10" bass guitar speaker). Most people really don't want sub-woofers.

10. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell, nice explanation ESP-LTD. ;)

Just remember that bass-specific drivers are desinged with clarity in mind as one of the design specifications. car subs are designes to be boomy and to drown out anything that doesn't go doof-doof.

i used to be into car audio, but now i believe that real men have PA's or instrument amps or home theatres.

Can you imagine running my 1001RB-II and my 1x15 in someone's car? it'll probably blow the windows and suck the battery dry in 5 seconds :eek:

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I used to run a pair of JBL car subs crossed over at 150hz with a small Avatar 12" on top. I found that more often than not, I had to cut the lows to avoid rumbling rooms, and finally gave up the 'flat to 30hz' trick.