Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp question (heh, need much help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, so I have a head, Peavey PA-120, and it has the two output jacks, with 100w printed between the two. So does this mean that it's 100w total, or 100w to each output jack? And also, my current combo amp (Peavey basic112) has a preamp out, can I run this to this amp (the input??) and use that pre-amp, 'cos I like it better for one. I'm running this all to a Peavey 4x12 (No, I'm no obsessed with Peavey, I just love their sound and craftsmanship). Thanks! R
    Ray

2. The 100w printed between the jacks means 100w total. Since it is a PA amp it is designed to have a speaker connected to each jack giving an output of 50w per side.

As to connecting the pre-amp out of your combo to the input of the PA120, I wouldn't advise it since the PA120 is designed to take the o/p signal from a mic or instrument which is a much lower level than the o/p of a pre-amp. You may well fry the pre-amp.

Hope this helps.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Thanks! I thought it would hurt it...oh well, guess I'll just have to stick with a bass and treble knobs 'til I can afford a real head.