Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    Hey everyone. I have a GK 800rb, its an older model, i dont know the exact year.

It has shorts in the master and volume controls and sometimes i worry for my cab ( as it shorts out and blasts the hell out of my cab.

Anyhow, I have an oppritunity to get a new head by the end of the month.
    Financially it is the most practical for me to purchase another, NEW, 800rb. Im happy with the sound it produces and its great for the $ in my opinion.
    I also plan to purchase the SVT810E. Does actually have or has ever had this setup before. My other gear includes an 80's Ernie Ball Stingray and the holy SansAmp DI box.

Ill save everyone the trouble and say I play floorshaking punk/ hardcore that will make your ears bleed. Right now i use the 800rb and with the boost from the Sansamp and believe it or not, with the larger than live EQ from my stingray, my Big Bertha 2x15 is pushed to the absoulute limit.
    I want the "wall of sound". Am i headed in the right direction?
  2. sounds like you are i am gonna get a GK head how do you like yours?
  3. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Why don't you just get your present head fixed? Sounds like dirty pots that can be fixed cheap!
  4. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    I know it sounds stupid but this is my first and probably only chance to get fresh new equipment.

Also, Ive heard that even solid state heads can loose some power after 10-15 years.....
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    But they gain it back when you plug them into the AC and turn them on. ;)
  6. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    Yah, and them tube amps are the worst - everybody should send me their 30 year old SVTs so that I can properly dispose of their decrepid corpses for yah. Why they all must be down to like two watts by now...

Yah been gettin' some bad advice there guy...

Now, for your "style" I'd guess a clean 300 watts of solid state isn't what you want anyways. Either a 300 watt tube amp or 600+ watts of silicon would be what yur lookin' for. Since you already have a SansAmp why don'tcha just buy a power amp - a qsc rmx850 goes for $300 new or you could go with one of the more expensive PLX series that is lighter...

Hey, if they ain't gonna give you much on yur trade email me, I'm within driving distance of you and wouldn't mind a GK for cheap...
    (remove the _nospam_ 's )
  7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Seriously, you should take your amp in to the shop and have it fixed. Much cheaper than buying a new amp. I do think the Ampeg 8x10, Stingray and GK would be great for your music style. Should cut through nicely and be loud as hell! Good luck!
  8. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    Actually im pretty sure i can go with solid state becasue the sansamp is a tub emulator and i think it does a pretty good job of that .I also boosts the hell out of my head so 300w should be sufficient.

I played throug an ampeg 8x10 with it once and it didnt seem to "fill the cab" up. It might have been how much i am used to my 2x15 and "feeling it", plus i didnt bother to adjust my bass setting on my head ( which probably could have gone up)
  9. for your style of music, definitely 10's. I play in an Emo/Screamo/Hardcore band, and my 10's cut like there's no tomorrow. I only use 4 of them, and they sound great, so 8 would just rip.

Lotsa people in my local scene use Gallien stuff, and love it. They're cheap, sound good for anything new-age, cuz they cut like hell, and perhaps most importantly... THEY'RE LOUD! for a 300/100 watt amp, the 800RB does some damage. I don't know if you'd go so afr as to needing 8 10's though.. at 400 watts, you should (realisticly) only need a 4x10 at most. Get your 800RB fixed. If you like the sound, then why just pay XXXX$ for a new one?

Just my opinion.

10. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    ... or you could get an 8 ohm 2x10 cab (or 2x8 or 1x10?) and use the biamp capability of that amp you have with your present cab and it would be like twice as loud. Biamping is really amazing...
  11. If its just crackling.... fix the amp for under $20

Go to Radio Shack and by a can of CRC-26. its blue and white. Take the knobs off the front, they just prize off. Spray CRC down into them. It is best to actually take the cover off the amp and spray up into the legs of the pots. Turn the pots back and forth quickly a dozen times. Switch the amp on say a couple of minutes later and see if they crackle. if they do, keep turning them up and down fully until it stops.

I have fixed a GK before. it was a 400RB. GK's are notorius for breaking down. I did a few enquiries into them when i was trying to track down a part for the one i was fixing. Basically no parts. There is a switching chip in these amps that is no longer made by anyone. And having said that it apparently fails repeatedly in GK's. Of all the people i spoke to they all say they've had to take it to a tech.

They may sound okay but i am going to steer clear of them.

On the valves..... yeah send me your valve units. Losing power?? riiight. Their biasing just slips out over the years. Thats not hard to correct. Valves last and last.

12. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Just to confuse things for you, I would say that if you're seriously going for a huge wall of bass that will shake Valentine's to it's foundation (Albany reference for the initial poster), you really should try out an all-tube head. It could make a world of difference in that pursuit (it would definitely scare the hell out of your guitarist, anyway). A Sansamp is a good box, but it doesn't actually sound very much like a tube amp. It's like the difference between a lincoln log and a redwood.

Then again, maybe you like the sound of it pushing your S.S. amp to it's limits, and that's valid. In that case, you really might want to look into fixing your present head. taste is certainly subjective but I bet you can find a better sounding amp for your style. GK's tend to sound a little sterile to my ears. I just think you owe it to yourself to check out an amp with a tube output section, I bet you'd hear the difference- especially volume-wise. There used to be a really slamming Trace Elliot V6 for cheap in Schenectedy, but it lives in my practice space now.

I also think that if you're going for the mondo, over-the-top, frighten the bikers at the Elbow Inn (another Albany reference), then 4x10 isn't gonna cut it. I say stay the course with the 2x15.
  13. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    I was going to get an svt810e....

How do you feel about the svt3pro?
  14. kmcgurn

Jun 7, 2003
    boston, ma
    i've used an svt-3 pro for about 18 months now. I used to play in a 5 piece pro cover band and we usually played in places w/ good PAs so all I used it for was to hear myself on stage, through an Ampeg 2x10 portabass. I like the sound of the svt-3 pro but I don't think it can produce the screaming volume that you seem to need. I think it has a great tone at low levels but I was never happy with it when I tried to be loud.