Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp question (svt 3 pro)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Jan 28, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If I have a separate preamp, can I use my Ampeg SVT3 pro as the power amp? There are two outlets on the back, one say preamp and one say poweramp, but it doesn't say if they are in or out for either. Help.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Preamp = Output for sending your signal out to an effects processor or whatever.
    Poweramp = Input for returning the signal from that effects processor or whatever.

So.. You have to use the Output from your Preamp and connect it into the POWERAMP "Input" of the SVT3-PRO
    By the way.. It would be better if you stick with the Preamp and buy a Power amp.. say Carvin,QSC,HAFLER,etc etc..
    Then.. You sell me the SVT3-PRO

:)

3. No, no, sell it to me!
    While we're at it: So the SVT-3Pro has this 5-position tone-control switch. Could anyone tell me what those 5 settings are? I've been wondering about that.
    (I know the sounds can be hard to describe, but please try.)

[Edited by displaced on 01-30-2001 at 08:22 AM]

4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks,
    I have a preamp coming and no power amp yet, so I wanted to make sure I could do that ok. If it is good, I will get a power amp and will probably sell the ampeg.
    5 position switch? I think it's a mid select.

5. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Okay, I can help a little: I saw a manual that described the 5 way settings for an Ampeg combo amp. I assume they are the same for all Ampegs with this feature. I don't have the specs in front of me, but it told which frequencies were cut and/or boosted in the various positions. One gives a funky scooped mid thing; another boosts 500Hz or whatever, for honk; one adds 8K or something for crispness.

This is just me guessing from memory. The point is, you can compare with your ears, and refer to the manual to learn a bit about EQ.

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I tried one of these beautys today.Went thru their 8x10 classic cab with MIA+MIM P bass's.OUTSTANDING!!!I tried the 5 position switch as well as everyhing else.There was some slight tonal/vol shifts from one position to the next but i dont think its the same thing as the style switch on some of their other amps/combos.Its much more suttle,but nice.Wheras the style switch on my BA-115 gives quite different sounds kinda like a different amp simulator deal.Good luck!

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Bernie,

If what you say is true, then I'm wrong. Right after I posted my reply, I buzzed to the local Music-Go-Round where they had a combo with aforementioned "style switch".

It looks just like the setup on SVP, etc. But maybe not. I read the tag. It said position 3 is flat. I believe one position cuts 500Hz (?) by 12 dB; another position cuts it by 25dB. Two other positions that do something else.

Something close to that, anyway.