Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Question - Underpowered?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Mar 27, 2003.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I have the following two cabinets:

Hartke VX115 - 300 watts @ 8 ohms
    Hartke VX410 - 400 watts @ 8 ohms

I have the following head:

Hartke HA-3000 - 180 watts into 8 ohms

The Samash guy said this should not be a problem, but after reading some replies to another post, I am beginning to wonder about that.

I read some articles saying that more bass amps are blown by "underdriving" than by "overdriving".

I want to stay with Hartke, so which amp should I get to properly drive these cabs or is this OK?

Thanks in advance!!

:bassist:

2. 2 8 ohm cabs, makes an impedence thing of 4, if the head isn't set up at 4 ohms, it may cause bad stuff to happen, or the amp to sound like farting, both bad

3. 180 watts isn't a whole lot no matter how you look at it, althouth when you run it at 4 ohms it probably puts out more like 250.

If you're not running it hot then it's no problem, the only issues are if you have to run it to the point of clipping. How loud do you play?

4. There is really no way of knowing until you play it out live. Hartke cabs are pretty efficient. I worked with 1 4.5XL using 250 watts and got bitched at all the time for be too loud. Hartke rates that amp at 300 watts into 4 ohms.
    ----------------------------------------
    from www.hartke.com

Dedicated to versatility and extensive sound-shaping, the HA3000 produces 300 watts into 4 ohms and 180 watts into 8 ohms
    --------------------------------------------
    I don't think you have anything to worry about at all.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The only danger of underdriving is pushing your amp so hard that it distorts and then causes the speakers to do bad things. If you aren't hearing rude noises, then you are ok.

The only other concern is volume for the gig. If you are able to get loud enough, then you have enough power. No person on this list can tell you if you are loud enough. Only someone that hears your gig can tell you.