Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp question URGENT!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist6464, Jun 18, 2004.

1. bassist6464

bassist6464

Jun 12, 2004
    is 20 watts sufficient for a small church or basement cause it cant be that loud or the congregation above will get mad!!!!! casue they will hear it during the sermon!! so will 20 watts max be good enogh to play with my sister she will be playing acoustic guitar i will be playing bass with 20 watts is that enough also there children they barley sing and my sisters acoustic is very soft soooo will 20 watts do max and dont say get a 150 watt cause number 1. i dont have the money 2. thats way way way overkill! remember very small small arena and there like 10 kids singing very soft and a lil acousic and a sermon upstairs and it resonates

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how much can you spend? what could you sell to raise money??

3. I would say yes.

So...Yes.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Yes. I think so. I have an older 15 Watt Peavey Transtube 8 inch speaker practice amp that I think would do what you want.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    20 watts, eh?

Well, here's my take. If you buy an amp w/ more power than you honestly need, you can always turn it down. If you buy an amp that doesn't have enough power, you've wasted your money.

That said, I think you need more than 20 watts. You can't judge how much power you need, by comparing it to what you're guitarist uses. A bass ALWAYS requires more power, simply because the frequencies you're dealing with are much lower.

IMHO, I wouldn't show up to play a performance like that, w/ less than 100 watts.

6. I'm not sure if a 20w combo would cut it. It might volume wise, but small combos often lack a lot of bottom end. Perhaps a slightly bigger combo such as the Peavey Basic 112 would suit your needs.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've recently done 2 church gigs, both with a 150W amp, but I didnt have to turn taht on too loud - but I was in a different position: there was a mini-orchestra (2 or 3 violins, a cello, flute, oboe, trumpet, 4 guitars and an electric guitar and about 20 singers...) in my case.

I say 20W is not too much... even for that.
    Get a good used small combo that has at least 30-50W (depending on how big the church is)

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think 20 watts might be fine for a room about the size of an average living room, but only if it doesn't have much to compete with.

9. I've played with a couple acoustics and a few singers with a 15 watt practice amp, 20 watts and you'll be fine for that situation.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I practice / write with my LOUD singer/acoustic guitarist through a Peavey MicroBass (20 watts into an 8") not the fullest tone, but plenty loud to compete without struggle.

11. I'd get AT LEAST a 50 watter....unless you're gonna mic it...and even that's under powering it...at my church I use an SWR Workingman15 and it does the job perfectly...you may wanna check into the Working man 10 or 12...