1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp question: Usually run 2 cabs- can I run 1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    I have a crown xls 1000 power amp and 2x Aguilar 2x12 cabs. They are both 4 ohm, and I run them in stereo mode from the power amp.

Sometimes the 2 cabs is overkill and I would like to run 1x cab. If I run it mono- bridged to a single cab, Ill be pushing 1100 watts to a cab that can handle 600 watts. I know that is a no- no.

Is there a way for me to run 2 cab without danger to of damaging the head or cab?

Thanks,

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    First - this should be posted in the Amps section. Not a big deal, but more "amp" folks likely to see it there. It'll probably get moved by a Mod.

In any event, as long as the one cab's ohm load is not below your amp's mininum ohm load, you're OK. Simply put, just let your ears be your guide as to volume and overdrive. When that happens, it's time to back off on something, more than likely, volume or bass EQ. As long as you keep that in focus, no damage should happen. :cool:

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Never run a cab below your head minimum ohm impedance; then never run a cab below your head power program output

Other than that you're almost ok

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Try running it like you always do and just disconnect one cab. that way the remaining cab will still be getting the watts it usually gets.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021