Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Jan 16, 2005.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    My current amp seems to not amplify the D and G strings as well as the B,E and A. The B,E and A come through very robustly while the D and G sound a bit muted. I did not have that problem with my previous amp as all strings came through about the same. The Strings are relatively new so I do not think it is the strings.Can this be caused by something with the amp???? What other possiblities could be causing this??? Can I corect it with an EQ pedal? Any Ideas? :bawl:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Did this exact set of strings work out OK with your previous amp?

How new is the battery in your bass?

Has there been a drastic change in the weather?

Has you bass been dropped, knocked over, bumped etc?

Have you played differently with these strings...slapped like crazy on the D and G where you didn't before, etc?

Have you tried out your bass with another amp since this happened?

If you play some notes on your B, E and A strings and then play the same notes on the D and G is there a difference?

I'm wondering whether you have two bad strings or whether the pickups got readjusted. I suppose it could be the amp, but if the notes played in response to the previous paragraph sound different between string groups, I would think that it would either have to be the strings or the pickups.

3. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Did this exact set of strings work out OK with your previous amp? Yes they did

How new is the battery in your bass?It's a new Bass although it's the stock battery, I suppose it could be weak.

Has there been a drastic change in the weather? I live in Florida so I don't think the weather is to much of a factor.

Has you bass been dropped, knocked over, bumped etc?No

Have you played differently with these strings...slapped like crazy on the D and G where you didn't before, etc? No, in fact the D and G get played a whole lot less than the others.

Have you tried out your bass with another amp since this happened? I only have the one amp, I guess I could hook up to the Sansamp and the computer and give it a try.

If you play some notes on your B, E and A strings and then play the same notes on the D and G is there a difference? When I play it with music the D and G get lost in the mix and I have to struggle to hear what I am playing. When playing without music I can hear the notes fine but they do not cut through as well as the other notes. I have two Basses and it seems to do the same thing on both which leads to me to believe that it is related to the amp??

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Weird stuff...I'd agree that if it's happening on two different instruments, it has to be the amp...unless there's a problem with your cable... Have you tried another cable? (yes, I'm grasping at straws...)

What kind of amp? The Peavey?

5. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i had a very similar problem and it was the cab. it was just too scooped in exactly the right(or wrong) place. i got great tone solo but i got burried in the mix. you could also try adjusting your pickup height. lower the bass side a little and raise the treble side. a little goes a long way with pickup adjustment so tweak a little at a time. and put some more mids in your live sound, that will help a lot.

6. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    No it's not the Peavey, It's a Roland DB-700.

7. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    For those interested, I think I may have resolved my problem. I had the Sansamp Bass Di on the front end instead of the effects loop, I changed it around and ran it through the loop and it seems to have made a bit of a difference. The D and G is cutting through much better now, not as much as I would like but I can live with it where it is now and maybe given more time and tweaking all the settings I can get it were I want it. I hope.[​IMG]

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    first thing that came to my mind would be check the pickup height