1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Jun 25, 2001.

  1. JP Bassman

    JP Bassman

    Jun 18, 2001
    Hi guys
    I actually registered a week or two ago, but I haven't had the chance to drop by since then and now I have a question.

    It's a simple question really...

    I started playing bass at Christmas, and I love it! I have a Marshall 25watt Combo amp, and my firends and I are starting a band. Obviously I need a bigger setup, (although not too big) and I heard that you can use the Combo as a head. This is great for me, especially becasue I don't have the money for a head AND cabs.

    What's the best thing for me to do - combo or just go buy the head?

    Also, how exactly do I do this - use the combo as a head?

    OK, now the numbers on the back of it are 120V~8 ohms 60 Watts, and then on the other side is 25W at 8 ohms.

    Thanks guys.
  2. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    Just my opinion, but I think the best thing you can do is save up for a bigger used rig, (or steal one), especially if you're going into an 8 ohm load and only getting 25W. Your amp sounds like a guitar amp to me.

    If there is a jack on the back of the head that says something like "EXT" you can use another speaker cab with it. However, more speakers doesn't mean more volume, especially if they're out of phase.
  3. Chasarms

    Chasarms Casual Observer

    May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You can use a combo for a head, but I am not so sure you are going to get any where with what you have. the 120V 60 watts thing is simply the amount of electricity the power supply consumes.

    The real meat of your problem is the 25 watts at eight ohms. That is not that much power.

    Many larger combos have an extension jack for coupling an additional cabinet to the combo. If your amp has this, there will be a 1/4" jack on the back labeled external or extension or speaker or something like that. If not, there may be a 1/4" jack on the back that already has a 1/4" plug plugged into it. This feeds the internal speaker. Your last option is that it has neither and the speaker is internally hardwired into the amp.

    If you do have a speaker out on the back, you could unplug the internal speaker and use your amp as a head to drive another cabinet. But you'll still have only 25 watts. You may be able to pull more power with a lower ohm load, but I would double check with Marshall to make sure the amp can handle a lower ohm load.

    Your best bet is to play what you have. Save a few bucks when you can and buy a used combo with a 1 15" speaker. At least 100-150 watts. More power is better. IF you can find an old peavey that works, buy it cheap. They are great for starters because the take a ton of abuse and can be had cheap.

    If you really get into this and want a high grade rig, you'll probably get back for your Peavey what you paid, which shouldn't be much. What you need now is something produces enough power to play with a drummer.
  4. JP Bassman

    JP Bassman

    Jun 18, 2001
    Thanks for your help guys.

    No it's not a guitar amp, and yes it is alot less power than I wanted, and apparantly than what I need as well.

    Again thanks.

  5. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    How much money do you want to spend?

    Your budget, will help us to understand what your options are.

    Also, you might mention what style of music you play.
  6. JP Bassman

    JP Bassman

    Jun 18, 2001
    OK, my budget is somewhat limited...

    I'm trying to buy a car so I have like $1000 for that, and $350 for bass stuff . . . so technically i have $1350 total.

    However, I really don't want to spend that much for just bass stuff. My old car is like dead, and I really need a new car (and yes i know I still need more than a grand for a car)

    As for style of music, I like everything, but the band is going to be a hard rock/metal band.
  7. Old Blue

    Old Blue

    Mar 18, 2000
    If you're joining a band and looking for an amp that will handle that situation, I'd advise looking for a used Ampeg BA-115 or B-100R combo. They're both 100 watts, with more volume and tone than most others in that power range will produce. They're available used for around $300.

Share This Page