Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp questions and svt4pro questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nfgrufio, Jun 9, 2005.

1. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    hey i was wondering if anyone could tell me about "bridging".
    as in mono-bridged and all that good stuff

i just dont understand what it means

oh and does anyone have any comments on the ampeg svt4-pro,
    im thinking im going to buy it used?

2. mono-Bridging means that you are combining the two amps in the SVT (yes, it has two power amps...) together into one more powerfull amp effectively...

You should check the owners manual (download it off the site) to check the special wiring for the bridged speakon output to use it correctly.

3. hugo5

hugo5

May 1, 2005
    I am not sure the manual tells you, mine did not. There is a small diagramm on the back of the amp that tells you how to wire it. I had it wrong and then you get early distortion.

4. + its not as loud as it should be

Im sure the manual tells you :eyebrow:

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep, it explains the wiring in the applications section of the SVT-4PRO manual. And the block diagram has the connector pins labeled.

Essentially, in mono bridge the two amplifiers are connected so that they drive the + and - ends of the load, working together in co-operation to use a single input signal.

One is "pushing" this end of the load, and the other is "pulling" the opposite end. Like two people working an old-fashioned saw.

With the 4PRO, each amp can drive down to a 2 ohm speaker, so the mono mode speaker can be down to 4 ohms total (2 + 2).

What you get is the maximum possible power into a single speaker.