1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp questions from a new guy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GlutenFreeBass, Jul 30, 2007.

1. New guy to the forum here, I’ve been lurking for the past few weeks, reading the FAQ’s and whatnot in hopes of not annoying you guys by asking redundant questions. Anyways, Im in the market for a new rig. I currently have a MusicMan String Ray 5 that I run into a SWR Workmans 15, the only “effect” pedal I use is a Sansamp DI. Its been doing its job for the last 8 years, but I want (need) something with louder tube tone. The ideal step up would be a tube amp (or a hybrid) into 4x10s, and a 1x15 (both 8ohms).

I’ve looked at Mesa Boogie, Eden, and hoping for the new Mark Bass tube amps to hit my local guitar center. Now, most of these setups are in the $2500 range new, so im most likely only going to be able to get one cab at first. Im thinking the 4x10 and then the 1X15 down the road. The amp would be used for practicing with the band, small gigs (clubs and stuff), and recording.

Now for some questions...

It seems like everyone who gets a Mesa (at least on the forum) gets the 400+. How are the other amps? The pulse or the big block 750? I haven’t seen much about them on here. I’ve played them, and liked them both, but doesn’t seem like much is said about them. Is there a reason?

Eden, I like the Eden stuff, sounds good, but the local store I normally buy from doesn’t carry it. It seems like it has a good rep here too.

Mark Bass, everyone seems to be loving the new MarkBass amp, the $600 one. I tried one the other day at GC and didn’t really like it, but here is why before I get flamed.... The guy who helped me watched me like a hawk the whole time I was trying it out. Like... stood over my shoulder, it was really annoying. Add that to the 15 guitar players cranking distorted crate amps. I wish the bass section was closed off like the acoustic room. I then tried to compare it to the 400+ they had, but he couldn’t get the thing to turn on. So like the other guy in the forum ranting about Markbass, its more about GC then MB. Also, I haven’t seen any reviews on the tube stuff, just the solid state digital amps.

So, out of those three companies, which do you think is the most versatile option. I play a wide variety of stuff, rock and covers with bands, slap bass (normally if its just me and a drummer), jazz with another band. I know I could just look at the reviews, but everyone always gives a 9 or 10 on the stuff they bought.

In general, are hybrid amps (tube pre, solid state power) a better option then all tube due to reliability and weight? I move my amp around a lot and I practice all around the city. Never owned a tube amp so im not sure how all that movement would be for it.

What would you guys recommend wattage wise for a 4x10, 1,x15 setup to play in small clubs or bars? Im thinking an amp with 400 watts into 4 ohms would be a minimum, is that reasonable?

I read that I’m to get the best cab I can afford and it seems like the Epifani UL are praised on this forum. Again im looking for a versatile amp, would you take these over the other three companies cabs I already mentioned?

My current setup:

P1010006.

2. No love for the new guy?

:(

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    just so many options avalible. first you need to determine your real budget, then look only at rigs in that range.
    imo/ime carvin and peavey are good for "best bang for the buck". also, alot of people on a tight budget like avatar cabs paired to a nice head like a GK or the like.
    I my self am a big fan of Genz Benz, imo/ime they offer a lot at their price point. ( although GB may be out of your price range) but again this is just "my" opinion. try out everything you can, then let your ears and your wallet get the final say.
    good luck

4. Don't listen to the one-post [deleted now - Bill] sub-troll. Do be patient w/us, though. I, for one, am pretty self-absorbed; if I can't really contribute or at least make a(perceived)witty comment, I'll go look at basses. :D

Edit: smogg has some good on-topic points. See? Patience...

5. GFB, I can't help much with the specific products you mentioned, except that if you're looking *primarily* for versatility the 400+ might not be your best bet (although it would be my choice of those you listed). What I can tell you is that you shouldn't have reliability issues with an all-tube amp. My SVT-II has done a lot of travelling with me with no issues.

400W into 410+115 should be more than adequate for those venues.

Good luck.

Ken.

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

I think I'm the only one here who understands why your name is gluten free. Am I right to guess you suffer from Celiac disease?

I'm heavily biased towards Eden, cuz that's the rig I got. I did get to test out the Little Mark II, but wasn't really sure that thing was running right, so I still wanna try another one before some teenager blasts Nirvana riffs through it cranked at 11.

My rig is an Eden WT550B running into an Eden D212XLT and Eden 210XLT, both running 4 ohms, so it's a 2-ohm load on my amp for 750 watts. LOUD doesn't describe it. The 12's give a very thick deep low end. I play 5-stringers, and my low B is so happy with this cab. Then the 210 on top gives me tons of midrange growl and grit, which brings out the tube preamp's characteristics. I've been using the 212 alone for practice with the band, and it keeps up just fine. But then on stage, I open it up with both cabs and scare small children. The 212 is a cab that I think everyone should try to hear, cuz it's awesome. You could get the 212 first, run it at 4 ohms for 500 watts, then get another cab later for a total 2-ohm load and MAD volume.

I know there's plenty of Eden dealers in the Philly area, but Pittsburgh is a different story. I know this sounds ludicrous, but howzabout a G.A.S. road trip? There's stores in Cleveland and Detroit that would easily satisfy your high-end gear needs.

First of all, here's the Eden dealers around your area:

ATKINS MUSIC CENTER
    166 W CRAWFORD AVE
    CONNELLSVILLE, PA 15425
    724-628-2450

WOODSY'S MUSIC
    135 S WATER ST
    KENT, OH 44240
    330-673-1525

TIM SPEARS MUSIC CITY
    216 WEST MAIN STREET
    WAYNESBORO, VA 22980
    540-949-7034

Give them a call, and find out what they have. I've traveled far and wide to test gear, and yes it's time consuming and expensive, but once you're happy with what you've found, you're happy!!!

7. Thanks for the replies guys.

Bryan, you are correct about the name :).

Anyways, as far as a bugdet goes that just depends how long I wait. Im thinking $2,000 would be something I could come up with by the end of the year. New thats an amp and a 4x10 cab.

If I decide to get something now, Id only have about half if not less to work with, and id have to go used at that point.

Also, all the amps ive mentioned I can try out in the area, they just arent all in the same store. And the store I tend to use only carries the Mesa. The markbass tube stuff hasnt hit the area, but the digital stuff has. I really wanted to wait till I got to test one out before I buy anything. As far as making a trip to philly, Im planning on going out there in sept, any good stores I should check out. I usually stay in Old City or Manayunk. Anything near there?

I have a few more question but ill refrain for now :). Again thanks for the help.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  9. I do. Daily. A 2x10 SWR cab showed up today, which has been one of the better things in the last month. Just not really what im looking for.

10. vbass29

vbass29

Jul 30, 2007
    Warrington, PA
    I was lucky enough to play through one of these at Grape Street in Philly. I have to say prior to playing it I was all about staying away from the Mesa hype (could be my guitar playing, mesa bashing hubby's fault). But, now I'm thinking of trying to pick one of these up as a second head. I currently use a Demeter preamp and a QSC 1600W power amp through a 4x10 Bag End.

The M-Pulse 600 gave me a great warm tone and way more than enough volume. I'm all about my bass being warm and boomy!

11. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Ignoring most of the other questionable comments....., you've mentioned many high quality amps and cabs in your OP. My take is that in 99% of situations, once the music gets rumblin', you will not, and the audience will DEFINITELY NOT know the difference between MB, Mesa, Epi, Berg, ect. There4, unless you have a slave moving it, you will appreciate portability. Portability + KILLER tone = MB. Epi and Berg cabs are the creme o' la crap. You can't go wrong and you won't tell the difference in any live situation. Get the one that gets you the best deal that looks the coolest to you. In the end, you gotta live with it.
    So, in conclusion, MB head with either Epi or Berg cabs. ENJOY!

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks to those who reported the post by the dimwit who tried to derail this thread.

To those who responded in the thread - it's good to know you disapprove of trolls, but please refrain from responding and especially quoting offensive posts in the thread itself, it makes for an awkward job clearing up afterwards. Just use the exclamation mark (in the little red triangle) at the top right of any post to report it and it will get dealt with.

Thanks guys and girls,
    Bill

13. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'll jump in along side vbass29 and second the positive comments about the Mesa M-Pulse line. Used M-Pluse 360's can be had pretty cheap ($4-500 I think), The Walkabout head is just an M-Pulse 300w head .. very portable, tons of tone and will drive big cabs if desired (stable at 8, 4 or 2 ohms :eek:) , as reported here many times. M-Pulse 600 is just a killer rig and they are readily available on the used market as well.
    Then there are the Titan V12's and Big Block 750's to think about/audition of you want/need that much horsepower.

So, if your thinking/digging the Mesa tone, as many here do, then there are certainly choices besides the 400/400+ to consider.

most importantly

enjoy!