1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp questions (out of the loop for, like 30 years)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KrazyDawg, Jul 3, 2014.

1. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi all,

First post, but I've been perusing a lot of the forums here for a while now. Background: I played bass (a lot) 30 years ago but then life happened and I haven't touched one since. I started playing six-string guitar (again) about 7 years ago, just for fun. I recently got a bit of a bug to play bass again, but have been hesitant to spend any amount of money as I don't want to invest much until I know it's something I'm going to stick with. After going to GC and playing a few of their Jazz basses, I had seemingly forgotten how much of a stretch the full length basses were (compared to playing guitar). While perusing the Bay, I came across a short-scale Squire bass that they were pretty much giving away and decided to pull the trigger. I got the guitar today, took a little time to set it up and then I plugged it into my guitar amp (Carvin X212b). The Squire bass sounds surprisingly good on the A, D and G strings, but man, does the E string ever sound muddy (i.e. lack of crispness). In addition, when I thumb slap it, I get undesirable popping sounds that I don't get on the other strings. I've switched between the bridge and neck pups, as well as maxing/minimizing the tone knob with no change in muddiness (for the most part). I'm assuming the muddy E string/popping sounds is because I'm playing it through a guitar amp which likely isn't designed to process sounds this low.

Basically, I'm just looking for some confirmation that I'll need to get a bass-specific amp in order to get a consistent sound from top to bottom. Thanks for any responses - this is a great site!

**Just realized my question should probably have been posted in the amp section - my apologies!

2. Well to answer your question, yes if you don't like the mud then you will need a new amp. I definitely recommend you buy a BASS specific amp, but of course not all guitar amps sound terrible with bass. I recommend you go to GC or a local music shoppe and test ride as many amps as your heart desires.

3. Forgot to add, if you haven't done this already adjust the EQ settings on your amp so that the "Bass EQ" is at the minimum or close to it.

4. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

Jun 17, 2014

Ahhh, never thought of that. Will give it a try. Thanks.

5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Drop a couple hundred bucks on a new Fender Rumble combo and call it a day.

Remyd likes this.
  6. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

Jun 17, 2014
    LOL. I was just looking at one online. Thanks.

7. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    You also might need a set of strings

8. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

Jun 17, 2014
    That was #1 on my to-do list. Thanks.

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The popping sound is your string hitting the pickup lower the pickup a bit........onr don't slap . LOL

10. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

Jun 17, 2014

No, the pups are nowhere near the strings (at least 1/4 inch clearance). It's the E string hitting the fretboard that is making the popping sound, which I don't know why that would be? I think I'll pull the electronics out and check out wiring/soldering - no idea how that would contribute, but it's the only thing I can think of at this point...

11. guitar speakers can't handle it so they're probably farting out, I'd stop now or you'll bust your speakers.

most guitar amps (at least tube ones) handle bass fine, its the cab that you really need.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you like Carvin amps, check out the BX-500. Lots of love for it here. For the money, tough to beat. Great tone, power, light (500W at 6 pounds) and all kinds of eq to play with.

13. SheaNC

SheaNC

Jun 15, 2006
    Marysville CA
    There are A LOT of small inexpensive bass amps that would suit your needs. Go here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD sort by price low-to-high. Lots of choices. You can also do the same search (bass combo amps, sort by price) on Ebay and find lots of great choices. I have a little Behringer Thunderbird for fiddling around with that I love; it was an Ebay purchase for, like, $30. It is the evil twin of the Danelectro Nifty Seventy, which is no longer produced (I have one and love it too, because it matches my Dan-o bass). I am assuming you want something for just noodling around at home for now, right?

14. his carvin would probably sound awesome into a bass cab though.

15. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg

Jun 17, 2014
    Good information, thanks. BTW, my bass sounds great through my guitar amp, now that I've lowered the bass settings. I am, however going to get something different to run my bass through and am undecided between a smaller combo, or maybe just peruse C-list for something a bit bigger that will serve as a practice/noodling amp. Thanks for all the replies.