1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Questions, Please Help The Newb (me)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sharpie555, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm a senior in highschool and have been playing for a year and a half, and over the last 2-3 months a group of friends i jam with has become alot more serious and we are playing more often, which is good. The problem is to be heard over the drums and guitar i have to crank my amp up all the way.(I am using a laney hardcore max 1X15 combo that i bought off a friend, its the only amp ive ever owned). When i turn my amp up that high it distorts and generally destroys any thing resembling tone. My bandmates and i have taken to calling it the serial rapist on account of the tone raping.

Anyway im in the market for a new amp, and i want atleast 300 watts (i think the laney is 100 but am not sure) so i dont have to push it so hard and can maintain a decent tone at high volume and hopefully can play some small gigs (if the band goes that far). I have very little money though so here come the questions:

Of these amps, wich would you guys recommend

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-300H-300W-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=485030

the ashdown seems good but i know nothing about the brand.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600-Bass-Head?sku=482534

ive heard good things about gk but does anyone have firsthand expirience with this head?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-BX4500H-Ultrabass-Bass-Head?sku=481090

and the behringer, i either hear that these are excellent or complete crap, but im very tempted by the higher watts for lower price thing, so any expirience would be great.

Question part II

In all likelyhood it will take me forever to save up the money for a new amp and cab, so can i just buy the amp and use the 15 that my laney has (it has a normal 1/4 plug and is 8 ohms) or am i asking for a blown speaker because i dont no the power handling on the speaker?

Again thanks for any advice.

2. bl2112

bl2112

Jul 11, 2008
    Orlando
    Hey
    you and me are on the same boat being seniors in high school. 300 watts for jamming is overkill. A fender rumble 100 is a great amp. Very clear and reponds well slapping and tapping. Dont go with the Behringer. The Ampeg BA115 is good to.

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    As a cheap, temporary 'band' aid to your situation - you may want to replace the speaker in your combo. www.usspeaker.com has lots of options and there are plenty of members here that could help you pick out the best speaker for your situation. This may buy you some time in your search for a new amp. Eventually you will get a big rig and your band will regret having made fun of you when you are shaking the fillings out of their teeth.

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    Of the 3 I would go with the GK. But, as bl2112 pointed out, Ampeg makes a LOT of good amps that would fit your requirements. Anyway, let us know what you go with.(sound clips) 8)

5. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
    Thanks for the help so far, and im interested in the speaker replacement option, so how much is a decent 15 inch speaker going to cost and could i install it myself? (im not much of a handy man but i can put screws in stuff, drill holes, other basics)

6. Speaker replacements are a reasonable option. I think you could do even better by looking for something secondhand here on TB. Stick to the brands you know other players use professionally - GK,Ampeg and even Ashdown will be of a good quality but you are looking at the really basic releases at MF there. Behringer is a waste of time.

Check out something like a secondhand GK400rb or an 800rb for the same money. They are loud and clear and you can actually keep them as the basis of a gigging rig when you are ready to buy a new cab. If you buy the others, trust me, you'll be buying a whole new amp again in 12 months or wishing you had.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How about reducing the practice volume? (You really don't need to practice that loud, anyways).

You can always surround the drummer with sound board. A 4x8 sheet doesn't cost much. Set up the drums in a corner. Cut the sound board in half and stand them up around the drums (Put two sheets together to increase sound absorption-buy an additional 4x8 sheet). You can hook them together with some wire so they don't fall over. You can also put some additional sound board (or blankets/sleeping bags) in the corner of the room to reduce the volume even more.

Raise both amps to ear level.

This should help reduce the volume enough for your current amp to cut it, at least at practice.

8. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

According to the internet you're running a Laney HCM160B, which is rated at 160 watts RMS - plenty for jamming.
    You could get a tech to check the amp and see if it's okay - if the output section is fried you'd get lots of distortion with little volume.
    Another option is to tweak your EQ. Try cutting the bass frequencies and push the midrange up. You'll cut through the other instruments a little better.
    Finally, tell your bandmates to keep a lid on the volume.

9. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
    Now that you mention it, theres a fair chance the amp is not working properly, the active imput doesnt work and when playing for more than an hour or so it starts to cut out, id been ignoring this until now but does anyone have any ideas whats wrong, or how much it would cost to fix?

Thanks again

10. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
    Also, i found some pictures of teh 160 and it looks similar to mine but mine must be older, mine has active and passive imputs and no enhance nob or compressor button, just a little button next the compressor nob that says bright, i dont know if that matters or not, but thought id give you guys the info

Edit: Apparently its a 120, this is exactly what i have
    http://www.futuremusic.com.au/Cat_detail.asp?ID=1063