Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MysteryBox, Feb 28, 2005.

1. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    OK
    I have a Yorkvillle 1x15 Cab at 4 ohms and i want to get a 4x10 with a new Head (also kinda dont have the most money) so can someone explain to me:

A) What Ohm and Watt Head should i get and can anyone recommend some good Head (but nothing really modern sounding im into older sounding stuff)

and B) Should i get a 4 Ohm 4x10 cab or a 8 Ohm

2. If you already have a 4 ohm cab, you're going to need a head that is rated to go down to 2 ohms to be able to handle another cab - regardless of the new cab's impedance.

As far as cabs go, it would make sense to get another 4 ohm cab so the two of them get the same amount of power from the head.

3. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    Thanks but im still confused im goin to use 1x15 and a 4x10

So how many watts do i need to run them at and also does it matter if the have different rms which i think they do?

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You'll want them both to be the same impedence, in this case, 4 ohm. That means you'll need a head that can take a 2 ohm load, or run these such that the head sees an 8ohm load.
    How much wattage do they handle? It's typical to wan 1.5X-2X the power rating on cabs for you head i.e. if the combined rating of the two is 500W, you'll want a 750W-1000W head, in general. That leaves you with plenty of headroom, and worry-free from clipping. Just make sure to NOT have the volume cranked!
    Which head/cab are you looking into buying, it'd help to know :).

Ray

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

If you have a Yorkville cab, it's probably 8 ohm. If memory serves me correctly, only the new YX 1520 and the XC808 are 4 ohm.

You might want to consider an additional Yorkville 4x10 cab which (if it's also 8 ohms) will present a 4 ohm load to your amp when you use them together. Either way, match the ohm rating of both cabs.

One 4x10 plus one 1x15 is a popular combination with many bassists. Theoretically, you get good punch and definition out of the tens and good low-end extension out of the 15. YMMV. That combination also gives you plenty of options for different sizes of gigs.

If you're going for a one cab solution, the 410 is a better bet. However I use a Peavey 115 BX BW and it has excellent midrange throw for a 115.

Depending on funds, at the lower end of the price scale, the Yorkville XS400H head (do a search, recommended by quite a few TB'ers) is a good buy and if you like the simplicity of solid state, the Peavey Max 450 is bullet proof and an easy recommendation.

6. Also, knowing what kind of situation you're playing in would help us make suggestions as far as how much power you'd need and perhaps models of amp.

7. MysteryBox

MysteryBox

Feb 28, 2005
    nope its definately a 4 ohm cab

i play in from small to large clubs across town

I have a really bluesy like tone at the moment so i was thinkin about maybe a ampeg svt classic or like a fender 300

but would that work with two 4 ohm cabs

oh and the RMS handling of the 1x15 is 200 watts and i think the program handling is 500 but don't quote me on the program

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got this from a fellow TB'er..."the Dude". It's a list of heads that will do 2 ohms, weight, price, and type. Quite comprehensive!!!

http://www.3ms.com/bass/2ohms.htm

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Acoustic 370! 2 ohms, no problem. Nice vintage sound? No problem. You can pick them up for a song on eBay. :)