Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, May 17, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey gang, this will be a long post but it consists of two questions.

1) I bought a new amp setup yesterday at guitar center. I got an Ampeg SVT-350 Head and a SVT410HLF cab. I like the sound of both but I am worried I might "grow out" of the amp head quickly if I join a band. I mean if I need to maybe add a 1x15 cab then my power would drop from 350w to 200w because that is the amp's output at 8ohms. So my question is.. should I maybe upgrade to a different amp? I am looking at the SVT4-Pro since that has a lot more power. I still have like 28 days to trade in the SVT-350, and I am new to the world of separate amps and cabs. Any advice or opinions are welcome because I don't want to get in a band and realize this amp won't cut it.

2) (this might not have to do with amps, but I'm not sure) If anyone has heard the album "A Flight and a Crash" by Hot Water Music, do you know how Jason Black gets that really crunchy growl sound? I know he uses a G&L ASAT bass and I"m pretty sure he uses Ampeg amps... but other than that I am stumped! Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!
    --kid

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Using 2 4 ohm cabs together will give you a load of 2 ohms, not 8.

3. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    True, but the SVT-350 says that the speaker loading should be no less than four ohms. My SVT410HLF has a variable resistance so I can set it to 4 or 8 ohms, but most 1x15's are 8 ohms and I would need two 8 ohm cabs to stay at the 4 ohm minimum for the amp.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    really you can change the impedance!!!
    how does this work?
    uf you run the 15 at 8 ohms and the 410 at
    8 ohms then you are running at 4 ohms! then your amp is putting out 350 watts
    so what is the problem?

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think his point is that the cab would only see 175W if he runs it at 8 Ohms with a second 8 Ohm cab...

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    daisy chain the cords.
    even if it is it will still be louder than it is!

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't really know if 350 watts is enough power even for just a 4x10 in a loud rock setting. I'm not really a big fan of the SVT 4 however. If you do decide to get something different, and still want a somewhat ampeg sound, I'd go with a SVP-Pro, and a power amp.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What???

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

If your amp puts out 350 watts at 4 ohms, then two 8 ohm cabs in parallel will give the amp a 4 ohm load, therefore maximising your power output - 350 watts!

If you need to set your 4 x 10 at 8 ohms to add the cab then fine!!! But if you can set it to 4 ohms ,then you already have the chance to use all 350 watts through it (when set at 4 ohms!) Sorry, I don't know a lot about Ampeg stuff, I'm just going on what you said.

I'm curious though, how the hell can you change the impedance of cab????

Is there a variable resistor in parallel with the speakers?? Or some combination of the speaker??

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that's what i want to know!!!

11. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Okay, well when I bought the cab I was told it had a variable impedence or whatever. Sure enough, on the back of the cab there is a big dial that switches between settings. So I just realized that two 8ohm cabs would give me the 4ohm minimum, but still would 350 watts be enough power to play a live show if/when I need to? Also would the SVT-4Pro give me enough power for a live show? I know that they are powerful, but I've heard that you lose power quickly when adding cabs...

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    nope not true.
    my friend did a show.
    all pa the drummer and guitarist!
    and he didn't pa his amp and he only had a hartke 3500 and one 410 and that was still plenty loud!!
    and the pa was 3000 watts!!!!

13. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    thats good to know that 350 watts is a good amount of power. I'm still wondering if I should upgrade to the SVT-4pro though.... also, has anyone ever heard of a cab with variable impedance? I hope I'm not misunderstanding the large dial on the back of the cab....

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The large dial on the back of the 410HLF is the tweeter/horn adjustment level. It controls the amount of high end in you tone coming out of the cab.

410HLF's are 4 ohm cabs.

15. I have basically no experience playing bass in a band setting and fighting against the other musicians, but I know that sound is all about air movement. Therefore, if you add a 1x15 cab to your current 4x10 cab setup, you will be moving a LOT more air than you previously have been. Power is good, but the most important issue for volume is the number of speakers. Adding watts is ok, but (I think this is right), you have to more than double the wattage to get the same effect of adding speakers. That could be wrong, and I'm sure I'll hear about it if it is, but that's how I understand it. Then again, you could always add speakers and watts.

16. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Okay, so if the cab doesn't have a variable impedance then does that mean I'm scr*wed for adding another cab to the setup? By the way, what exactly happens if I have less impedance than the amp requires (in this case 4 ohms)?

Thanks a lot for all the info so far!

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you have to get a 8 ohm 410 and 15
    How long have you had the 410? is it new?
    bring it back and get a 8 ohm cab
    then get a 8 ohm 15 cab.
    there problem solved

steve

18. Why would you want to add a second cab?
    The HLF series are designed to produce a incredible low-end.
    Compared to other 4x10's this cab has way more low end.

I have a Hartke 5000 with a SVT410HLF (250 at 4 ohms and its loud enough, even when I play without P.A., and I play in a extremely loud metal-core band.

The only upgrade I will have is a power amp, maybe a Carvin DCM1000.

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    What kind of gigs are you expecting to play? If you're not in a band right now you have plenty of power. If you join a band, you should be doing allright with 350 watts.. I used my nemesis for a long time.. its 200 watts.. I did have some trouble being heard at times, but thats why I've been building my rig :).

ummm... according to ampeg, the svt410-hl only available in 4ohms impedance .. The only cabinet that comes with either 4ohms or 8ohms impedance level is the BXT410-hl... I have the BXT410-hl with 8ohms impedance.

20. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was wondering the same thing last year when I first started playing out with my last band. I ended up buying a combo that puts out 200 watts at 8 ohms and 350 watts at 4 ohms (in other words, with an 8-ohm extension cab). Keep in mind that the 350 ohms is split evenly between the combo and cabs (175 watts each). Less wattage per, but a big boost in overall sound (more "air being pushed," as someone else already pointed out).

Anyway, I sometimes have trouble hearing myself and being heard at practices without the extension cab, but have never had any troubles at an actual small-club gig without it. Keep in mind that most sound guys will want to send you direct through the PA system so they can control the mix better. Plus, although your amp will provide stage sound, you'll probably have monitors to rely on as well. The extension cab has been useful when we've needed to go PA-less, but 350 watts proved to be plenty on those occaisions.