1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slowmo, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Slowmo

Slowmo

Aug 27, 2009
    I have two cabs: a GK 410 RBH, and a Mesa 115. Both cabs are each rated at 8-ohm. The Mesa has a parallel speakon output, but the GK does not. Currently I am using a GK 1001rb to push them.

My question is: should I be running one speakon output from the head to the Mesa, and a second speakon connection from the parallel output of the Mesa to the GK? Or should I run a separate speakon connection from the head to each cab?

I would assume that running the speakon connection from the parallel output on the Mesa to the GK creates a 4-ohm load due to each cab being rated at 8-ohms respectively. Would it also be a 4-ohm load if I run a connection for each cab directly from the amp? If so, are there any advantages or disadvantages in either of these setups?

2. It makes no difference. 4ohms either way. You are of course not using the 50 watt amp section, correct?

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Nope, same either way. The only way one would be and advantage over the other is if your cable is too short to reach from the amp to the bottom cab.

And yes, plug into the low outputs of the amp and ignore the little tweeter amp. Make sure your switch is set to full range and not biamp.

4. Slowmo

Slowmo

Aug 27, 2009
    Thanks for the info!

The rig is pretty loud for only 700w + 75w to the horns--much louder than amps of similar power ratings I have tested. Think I would be a little more satisfied with a 2001rb, but I don't really NEED that much power right now.. With 1400w total power handling, do you think I am under powering my rig with the 1001rb?

So when hooking up the cabs together I should set the 410 RBH cab to fullrange and not biamp? The Mesa cab does not have a fullrange/biamp switch..

I got a chance to test my rig at a friends house this weekend; we were all really impressed with the sound.

Here is the total package:

GK 1001rb II
    Sansamp RPM preamp
    Monster power conditioner
    Mesa Powerhouse 115
    GK 410 RBH

The thing kicks and kicks with no dropouts and smooth highs. I am really impressed with the quality of tube emulation provided by the Sansamp--it sounds like there is glass in there somewhere!!!

5. Slowmo

Slowmo

Aug 27, 2009
    Here is a picture of the rig minus the 410 RBH

Attached Files: