Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coleman, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    1)why amp use tube?what advantage for this?

2)how many year can use for amp head and speaker?
    (for ur experience and advise)

3)what time i want change the tube? and it can use all life?

4)i have saw some 500W amp can match over 500W speaker(eg. SWR SM-500(500W) + Goliath III (700W) + son of beathe (250W), why?
    is the speaker increase the volume?

p.s. amp set is very expensive, so i hope learn and know more this after i buy amp set, thx

2. 1. Vacuum tubes were invented before transistors. Amps 40 years ago were all tube amps. Some people still use tube amps because of the way they sound. I think tube amps sound good.

2. Most amps will last for 10 - 20 years. Some won't last that long, and some will last longer. I use some tube amps that are 40 years old.

3. Power tubes will last for a few years unless they go bad, preamp tubes will last for 10 - 20 years or forever unless they go bad.

4. The amp is rated by how much power it will supply, and the speaker is rated by how much power it can safely handle. I can run a 1Watt amp into a speaker rated for 1000Watts, but the speaker will only get 1 Watt from the amp.

Hope that helps.

Chris

3. You really can't go wrong with a SWR SM 500.

These never break.

However...

Tubes =
    -high maintainance
    -heavy
    -fragile
    -better tone (how much better is subjective)
    -more volume per watt.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    tube power amps are probably too expensive in your case
    amps with tube preamps and solid state power amps sound different than amps with solid state preamps and solid state power amps
    many player like the tube preamp sound better than the solid state sound, but not always

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can I just add - When an amp is pushed a bit too hard, a tube amp reacts differently to a Solid state amp. Both will distort, but tube distortion is not as nasty and sounds more musical that SS distortion. The tubes act a little bit like a compressor so the onset of distortion is more gradual and progressive, often adding that little bit of "growl" that a lot of people like.

It really depends on how well you look after your equipment. 20 years is possible if the equipment is treated well.

PsychoBassGuy's gonna start screaming when he reads this post. He repairs amps for a living so he should know - and he swears that these are myths.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You don't want no stinking tube amp, man! Get the clean, modern, refreshing POWER of solid state. No maintenance, better sound, and VOLUME up the chunk.