1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Rack Cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groover, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Does anyone know of some other options other than this for similar amp cases?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/527601-REG/Odyssey_Innovative_Designs_CRP02_CRP02_Carpeted_Rack_Case.html

I currently have a 3-space one that Ampeg made a few years ago (love it), but they have discontinued. Looking for similar ones 2 and 3 space racks is what I'm trying to find. I don't particularly like the gators.

I'm ready to get that 2-space one that I linked, but thought I'd asked before I pull the trigger on it.

Thanks!

2. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

What about SKB? Or Rok Sak?

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'll look those up in a sec. I'm looking for plywood/carpet/or tolex fitted type cases.

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Ok, found SKB and it not what I'm looking for. The other two I can't find... :confused:

5. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Here you go:

2 space, 18 inch
    [​IMG]

3 space, 18 inch
    [​IMG]

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE-18_series_rack_cases/R2UE-18/R2UE%20cutsheet.shtml

They are available in different depths from 10 inches to 18 inches and as many spaces as you need...including the hard to find three space versions.

Audiopile is a small business owned by Mark and Liz Hellinger. They are real standup folks and their cases are gorgeous...and tough. Their cables are also hard to beat. I have been more than pleased with everything that I have gotten from them. Of course, Mark is a bassist ;)

Kim

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use an oversized SKB. It's klunky and big, but it works. I throw a few of the smaller patch cords in there sometimes.

It works for me, but I gig on weekends in the 'burbs. Whether it would do well on the road, who knows?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    RoadRunner is another quality rack case manufacturer. Looks alot like those audiophile cases pictured above.

8. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Try this link and click on rack bags..:cool:
    http://www.roksak.com/

9. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Things to look for in a really well built rack for a bass amp:
    *Most bass amps will rattle the heck out of any hardware left flopping around on top of your speaker cabinet. IMO the latches should be attached to the lids, so they come off when you are using the amp.
    *Check out the handles and make sure they have very strong springs, as the cheaper ones with weak springs will almost always rattle on a bass amp.
    *Make sure the plywood fights very tightly in the aluminum channels. I've seen many cases that use slightly undersized plywood in the aluminum channels and this can be a source of rattles as well.

10. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
  11. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    I have several racks from Rak Shack. http://www.rak-shack.com/ind.html
    They have made special sizes (depth) I needed other than their standard sizes and I could choose color of tolex. They are very nice racks, look very sharp. The ones I have; have a bit of extra space above the top rack for air circulation too...... Lapicide

12. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    lapicide,
    can you detail th materials used in these? how thick are the walls? how is the hardware attached? also, how much extra for the custom size? i am ISO a light-ish, strong-ish, and cheap-ish 6 spacer (shallow is fine, as deepest component is 12"), but was hoping not to go with gator this time.... these look pretty cool, and i am a quirky kinda dude anyway.

13. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    FWIW, i happen to have a CNB bass case. it is ok. not great, but ok for the price (which was cheap). i wouldnt trust it for any kind of road use, save for the scenario where you cart yer own gear to and from your own car. the wood is thin, smelly (what *did* they make that glue from?), and is apparently luan (read: not very stiff or strong). the padding is thin, and the hardware thin and light, and will most likely fail eventually (note: i am 100% drawing from my experiences with *other* cheap-style cases, not the CNB).

frankly, i cant help but expect their rack cases to be of similar quality. might be fine for light amps and/or effects, but i am not sure i would put tube amps or lead sleds in something this light. 17lbs is awfully light for a 6 space, full-depth rack case with ATA-looking hardware (which i have looked at in my search for a 6 space rack case).

14. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have a few choices. I'm bummed that Ampeg no longer makes their amp cases. I have one, and it's a great piece. Was a little high price-wise at the time, heavy as heck (as you might expect anything from Ampeg....), but built like a tank. Has the same side handles as my 410HLF, which are really nice.

15. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If you just want the shell without front and rear covers, Aguilar makes 2 and 3-space head cases that come in a range of cool Tolex colors.

17. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    toobalicious,
    The Rak Shack racks are 3/4 " thick walls, plywood I would presume. They are solid. Benny at Rak Shack, his email is listed on their about us page is very helpful. I emailed what I wanted and he gave me choices; hardware color, extra handles (recessed) on the sides, color of tolex (blonde, blue, black, burgundy) etc. He is very helpful. The custom I had made is a 3 space 16" depth. It didn't cost much more than a standard size, maybe $25 more than their standard. Checkout their prices and pics for their standard racks. I wanted a nice looking rack, good quality and they appear that they will hold up quite well......Lapicide

18. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'm getting an Anvil rack this weekend.
    Check em out. They're sturdy as hell.