Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Apr 25, 2002.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hello, quick question - where's the cheapest and best place to get a 6 space rack case from (either SKB or Anvil style)? I'm looking at around $100 or something close to it. I like the SKB rotoracks, but I keep hearing that they're not so durable (though this will mostly sit in my room, but still...if it's just gonna break the first time I actually gig with it then I won't be happy...). Anvil cases seem cool but also a lot of them are faily pricey. So far, looks like Musician's Friend has the best prices on SKB. Anyone got any info about Discount Distributer's cases? Thanks in advance. I'm looking to buy new, by the way (warranty's are good) and it also needs to be a deep rack (16 inches or more).

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have an SKB with the two o-ring covers (better than roto rack) 6 space and I forget what I paid. It is 16" deep but with the covers you get about 2" of overhang on both ends. I have a 60-ish pound power amp plus a preamp, tuner and power conditioner so it is pretty heavy and has held up great. One advantage over the roto-rack is the ability to leave everything plugged in on the rear because of the extra 2" deep lid...it saves some time at gigs and keeps me from losing or loaning patch cords.
    My guitar player has a roto-rack and it has been fine for him for a few years but his effects are much lighter....if that matters.
    Eventhough I forget what I paid, I do know that it was a great deal compared to what I found on the internet at the time. Just go to a local music chain store in your area (Mars, GC, SA, etc.) and see what the best deal is that they will give you. Except for on a few brands (Mesa being one of them), the stores will usually cut a pretty good deal if you ask.:D

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    www.efunctional.com

I saw a SKB RACK4 Rotorack for $55.95. Best price I could find, but they had none in stock a few weeks ago. I'm sure the 6 is a bit more, but that was the best for a 4-space.

Good luck.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    try www.zzounds.com

i got my SKB Rolling 3 space X rack for a good price. shipping was free too.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah, I'm leaning towards SKB. Their rotorack is 17.75 inches deep and it looks like I'll need right around 15 to 15.50 inches or so for my CD player to fit in. Keep the suggestions coming. Also, anyone know of a good place to get a two (or three) space rack shelf?

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Personally,
    I didn't like the SKB Roto series since they have a nice o-ring seal on the front cover with nice latches but on the rear they only had a flimsy, slip in, non-sealing plastic cover with flimsy plastic hooks. Why have a seal and latches on the front if your just going to let the water and dust in on the rear without any sturdy protection? They only protect the front knobs from physical damage. I may be confused with which model it was but it was definetly SKB.

I recommend stepping up a notch to a rack case that has full protection front and back. One rainy day of transporting your equipment is all it takes to let water in and burn up your gear when you go to plug it in. Don't worry about the extra $10-$30 for the better rack case. It is worth the cost.

White Knight:
    I like your Signature (Isaiah). Quite true. Ya gotta walk the walk if your going to Talk the talk. Lead by example.

7. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I agree with Lovin Bass.

Spend the extra money and get the standard rack.

In the long run you'll be glad you did.

8. Before you get anything, take a look at http:rondomusic.com These are SKB style racks but much cheaper. Nino uses them and i will probably get a rack from them as well.

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Thanks again everyone - I'm still looking but will probably go ahead and make the decision soon.

Lovin Bass: Thanks for the compliment. Gotta admit that I'm certainly not perfect, but I try my best to lead through example rather than just words.

One other question: For the SKB rotoracks, what do they mean by a "rear door"? Obviously the front totally comes off like most racks, but what is this rear door thing? Is it completely removable?

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  11. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    What they mean by a "rear door" is that instead of having a nice o-ring cover with butterfly latches like on the front, they use a ribbed piece of plastic with two plastic (or maybe metal) "kind-of-j-bolt-knobs" on the rear cover.....it does remove completely. It's kind of a cheesy set-up IMO compared to the cover they use on the front or on their better racks.

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

I used to have one of these...they are better IMO than the SKB Roto and are very affordable. C&B cases are a good buy...not as nice as the better SKB though (which I know own).

13. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I'll look into the C&B cases. One thing though - the reason that I'm buying new is for the warranty (lifetime). I know I know, I may never end up using it but it's a nice comfort to have. What's the warranty on C&B cases, by the way?

EFunctional.com is showing the SKB 6 space rotorack at $64.95 which is the best price I've seen on one yet. I'm also looking at a 2 space rack shelf from SamAsh.com for $19.99 (for my CD player) - again, cheapest I've seen that still looks like it's decent quality.

14. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If the warranty will cover the electronic components that are mounted within the rack and those that the rack is meant to protect, then go with the cheaper rack.

If the warranty only covers the cheap rack case and not the components mounted within, then you may want to do the math since it is not the rack that you are most concerned with but the components that the rack is to protect.

Components:
    Several hundred or thousands of dollars. Alot to replace if the rack fails.

VS.

Rack:
    $100 +/-

I was going to get a soft rack case/bag to save money but after thinking about the cost savings versus the potential loss if the rack doesn't hold up...I decided who cares about the extra $30-$50 and go with the better rack. I think you are going to be very disappointed when you get the RotoRack from the UPS guy and look at the cheesy rear "door". It looks like they just cut out the shape from the molded plastic and put the plastic (yes they are plastic) j-bolts on that look like the left over mold pieces from a plastic model car kit from the Hobby Shop. No, I am not exaggerating. That really is what I thought when I was looking at the roto rack at Guitar Center. SKB makes some quality stuff and I use their Bass Cases. Unfortunately, the RotoRack quality is only on the front cover and does not extend to the rear door. I'm just trying to look out for you.

15. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Yeah, I'm certainly not liking this 'rear door' thing. Granted, like I said it will pretty much sit in my room, but still - I do want it to hold up on the occasions when I take it out. Thanks again.

16. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, here's a little update. I shopped around and decided on the SKB. Why? Well, I thought first of all that it was pretty outrageous that Rondo Music wanted between $20-$30 just to ship the case. So I decided to go ahead and give the SKB try. I ordered from SamAsh and was actually presently surprised. I ordered the 6 space SKB Roto-rack as well as a 2 space rack. Shipping was only $8!

Well, overall I have to agree that it seems really odd that the Roto-rack's front door is all waterproof and whatnot while the rear door isn't. However, I have to disagree with the comments about how cheap the rear door is. Mine at least is pretty thick and strong plastic and the latches are extremely durable as well. But I will admit that it seems curious to have such a difference between the front and rear doors. Besides the cost of shipping, the lifetime warranty of the SKB was the clencher for me (as opposed to the 1 year warranty on the other). I still have never seen a rack anywhere near this price range where the warranty covers the equipment inside, so I figured I might as well have the case protected at least.

Overall verdict: I'm happy. I don't forsee any problems with durability at all, but then again, I also completely baby all my equipment because I really like it and want it to last.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado