1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Racks and Fans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lyla1953, Jul 25, 2012.

1. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Just picked up a 1993 SVT II (non pro) and thinking about installing it in a rack for protection.
    Three questions;
    -Number of spaces? Should I get a 4 unit or 6 unit size? 4 seems to tight for the face flange (7" exactly without feet installed) but 6 would be to big. I can't find a 5.
    -Fans? Given the heat this amp produces would it be wise to install some cooling fans in the rack with amp? If so recommended manufactures/suppliers please. This head runs a minimum of two+ hour light load a day, 5 to 6 days a week.
    -Wood, vinyl and metal type rack/cases vs molded plastic versions? Again given the heat emitted from this head is one type preferable over the other? Recommended manufactures?
    Thanks for your time.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd go with 6 just to make sure it has a little room to breathe. You shouldn't need external cooling, so I'd hold off on that. I really don't think the type of material matters, though I'd stay away from any plastic or vinyl just because I don't think it can hang with an 80 lb. head.