1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp rating vs. Brand (opinions)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J.Nuno, Mar 31, 2013.

1. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    I've been trying to learn about the relation between the power rating and the brand/overall quality. It seems that after all wattage isn't everything, which makes it harder for me.

One simple way to put it is asking you which one would you chose. These are some amps that I've been looking at:

Trace Elliot GP7 SM 130
    GK RB-400 III
    Hartke HA 3500/7000

GK RB-400 IV

(In terms of price, assume that only the GK IV is a bit more expensive than the others)

I play mostly rock (from soft blues to hard rock).

If you could specify why would you choose that one, I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks guys!

2. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would go Genz Benz. There are several used ones here on TB

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Of your choices, the GKs are loudest for the wattage rating and most reliable.

4. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    Thanks Jaco.
    I seems more and more that I can't trust Hartke that much...

5. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I vote GK because I have a 1001 RB-II and LOVE it! I'd probably go Trace Elliot before Hartke.

6. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    Even with the T-E being 130W and the Hartke 350W?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Amp power is a measurement of voltage swing at the output. Some things that make some brands seem louder than others are...

Good power supply capacity to handle transients and high demand/power draw.

Baked in EQ curves.

Highpass filtering of the extreme low frequencids.

Built in compression/limiting

How musically pleasing their distortion sounds when pushdd to high levels.

Using "program" or "peak" power ratings instead of continous or RMS power.

8. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    Thanks will. And among those I mentioned, would you prefer any?

9. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I played most of those when amp searching at the beginning of the year (two other models of TE though), and also spent hours researching quality/reliability rep. Among your choices I found I liked both the RB series and the HA3500/5000. Warm and loud, with character, and the GK gets growly like my old RB. The RB-400 IV still has a good reliability rep, just like the old RBs. And the older HA3500s were evidently pretty bullet proof as well. Much like the older RB 400 and 800, we've all seen ratty old Hartkes serving in backlines. I'm just not sure about the newer HA models, though. My vote would be GK RB400 IV.

10. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    Based on comments so far, it seems that the extra cash should be worth it.

The others I can get for around 200€. The RB400-IV I can only get it for 350€ so far. Still, being my first amp ever I'm not sure 150€ will justify it. Tough choice.

11. Besides a slight voicing change between the 400RB III and IV they bumped the power output slightly. There is a fan mod that should be done on any 400RB III that is easily done and PM me for the instructions (email needed) if you decide to go with the III.