Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp rattling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosmute, Jun 21, 2002.

1. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    okay so when i went to band practice today.....my 1x15 cabinet was making a weird rattling noise as if something was on top of it or leaning against it, that would rattle.. but there was nothing! i have a GK 800rb amp and it's bi-amped so the 1x15 was getting most of the bass, so i sent everything to the 4x10 speaker: the rattling went away but naturally it sounded really dumb. We took off the cover of my cab and nothing was visably wrong with the speaker. Question: what the heck is wrong with it????? somebody help me!!!!
    the last time i used the set up was when we played a show earlier that week...i had it pretty loud. i haven't messed up the speaker have I??? i don't know very much about technical stuff so......whatever that's worth.

side question: every time i turn off my amp, i get that annoying popping sound.....is that normal? if not, how can i stop it?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cabinets get vibrated pretty roughly and screws can loosen up. Tighten down EVERY screw on the cabinet.

If it still rattles, have someone else play the bass for you and try pressing on different parts of the cab until the rattle stops. Then tighten down whatever it is.