Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp recomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFWbass, Jul 17, 2005.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I've got a Ampeg v4bh that I use with the 410hln (that's not a typo...it's what it says on the back of the amp. I found it in a guitar center used for $450 so I figured why not-especially when it was rated at 500w when a new hlf was rated at 400w at the time). I've also got a carvin r600 with two 2x10's. I play in a jazz band, an indie-rock band, a harder rockin metal type band, and a popish rock band. The ampeg is great for that warm generic tone, but only under the right conditions...for it's only 100w. The carvin gives me the power I need but sucks in the tone area. I'm selling the carvin stack and am looking for a solid-state replacement. I love Gallien-Kruegers but can't decide between getting the 700rb and using it with my 4x10 or getting the 1001rb and running it through the 4x10 until I get a 8x10 or two extra cabs. I'm afraid that if I buy the 700rb at 480w that I’m going to eventually crave more power and it'll only be good for powering my 4x10. If I get the 1001rb I'm pretty sure that I'll be set for a while power-wise, but I don't have the money right now for a bigger cab, nor do I feel like lugging around a refrigerator. I play everything from small cafes and restaurants to 1000+ people sized rooms. I occasionally play shows where I don't get miked or direct-outed and need all the volume I can get. As you can read...I'm stuck and can't decide which way to go.