1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp recomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFWbass, Jul 17, 2005.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    I've got a Ampeg v4bh that I use with the 410hln (that's not a typo...it's what it says on the back of the amp. I found it in a guitar center used for $450 so I figured why not-especially when it was rated at 500w when a new hlf was rated at 400w at the time). I've also got a carvin r600 with two 2x10's. I play in a jazz band, an indie-rock band, a harder rockin metal type band, and a popish rock band. The ampeg is great for that warm generic tone, but only under the right conditions...for it's only 100w. The carvin gives me the power I need but sucks in the tone area. I'm selling the carvin stack and am looking for a solid-state replacement. I love Gallien-Kruegers but can't decide between getting the 700rb and using it with my 4x10 or getting the 1001rb and running it through the 4x10 until I get a 8x10 or two extra cabs. I'm afraid that if I buy the 700rb at 480w that I’m going to eventually crave more power and it'll only be good for powering my 4x10. If I get the 1001rb I'm pretty sure that I'll be set for a while power-wise, but I don't have the money right now for a bigger cab, nor do I feel like lugging around a refrigerator. I play everything from small cafes and restaurants to 1000+ people sized rooms. I occasionally play shows where I don't get miked or direct-outed and need all the volume I can get. As you can read...I'm stuck and can't decide which way to go.