Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMP recomendations please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scoobs, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Hi guys I just started playing bass again from a 5 year break and want to get back into it. So now I'm looking for an amp that will provide a good sound and isn't too expensive (I'm only a student). Currently im not in a band but when I get an amp I will be looking to join one straight way so I need something that is good enough for that. Also it has to function as a practice amp as well...

I was thinking of the Behringer ultrabass BX1200 as its in my price range and seems to be an amp that meets my requirements... any suggestions? Im looking to spend no more than $600aud roughly $400us...
    :help:

EDIT: Ok, after reading some of the previous threads about behringer and the BX1200 it seems like its not what I want...
    Suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OOOOOO a fellow aussie!
    greetings, and welcome to talkbass. us aussie are few and far between around here, but we are slowly starting to emerge :D

Anyway $600 on an amp? Hmm..where in Aus are you located? Melbourne and Sydney have a shop that is 110% dedicated to bass and bass players. Sydneys is called the Bass Player, and Melbourne is called The Bass Centre. Im in Melbourne, and i go to BC alot. and i can also tell you that $600 wont get you tooooo much. The decent combo amps start around $700, and they are SWR's, and they are worth the materials they are made out of.

the BX1200 seems ok, if not probably the best thing you can get BRAND NEW for $600. If your happy to go second hands, have a squiz (look) in the trading post. im not sure if any other major cities have it, but i know Melbourne does. theres some bargain bass gear in there, however, you rarley know what your dealing with, so the rule 'Try Before You Buy' applies most here. Ive seen a few Peavey TKO's and that go for around the $600 mark in the trading post.

Hope that helps bud, keep us informed at what you do ;)

3. Cheers dude, Im in Adelaide tho and there doesnt seem to be too many stores dedicated to pure bass around here. Allans music is about as good as it gets... they seem to have the largest range and cheapest prices... Infact I saw an Ashton BA150 there for $700... it looks ok. But of course it would be streching the old budget a bit, but im sure I can manage it..

I will have a look in the trader for some combo amps but second hand stuff makes me cringe.. particulary electronic stuff..

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    second hand stuff can be better than new stuff. its worn in ;)

but those ashtons make awsome amps aswell ;)