Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp recommendatations for Aggie 12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by petch, Jun 26, 2003.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm about to sell my SWR WM15 combo and step up to a more advanced rig. I'm looking at Aguilar GS112's (a pair) and would like some input on a good integrated head to drive them with. My back is toasted so light weight is a big issue(cabs and head). I'm also used to tuner out and a mute switch. Any ideas? All thoughts on this subject are appreciated.

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use a EBS td 650 head into two bergantino 112s. killer sound and has the tuner out and mute.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, usually, if the manufacturer makes both cabs and heads/preamps, i say ALWAYS go with their stuff. obviously, its been voiced best for one another.

but if you dont have that kind of moolah, anything with a clear voice would complement the dark yet, burnishedly shined feel of the GS112's. Why not an SWR head? good tubey mojo, yet with a clear ended top that would cut thru nicely.

also, how much power do you need? how loud is the band, and what kind of rig is your guitarist using?

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    oh joker, he said his back hurts - that puts Aguilar WAAAY out. :)

how about EA? or EBS? They're both clean and clear, and seem like they'd compliment Aguilar cabs well.

Or you could always go with a preamp/poweramp situation...

5. FunkyJ

FunkyJ

Jan 31, 2003
    Tracy, CA
    I use a vintage SWR Electric Blue head with a pair of Ags. This works particularly well since the gruntiness of the 112s offsets the sparkly hi-fi sound of the SWR for an overall pleasing sound. And talk about lightweight! The EB is a whopping 12lbs and with two 12s it pumps out enough power for small and even medium-sized gigs.

I would also check into a Euphonic Audio IAmp. Very lightweight, more power than the EB and people seem to have good things about them.

6. bollefen

bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    CT
    mmmm i'm thinking mesa boogie

Walkabout or other m-pulse mesa

b

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    If you can, try an Ashdown ABM 500RC EVO (or the ABM 500 if you don't want a rack setup.) Should sound great with the two Aggies.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    If you can, try an Ashdown ABM 500RC EVO (or the ABM 500 if you don't want a rack setup.) Should sound great with the two Aggies.

I agree! I have an Ashdown ABM500 EVO. It has a tuner out and a Mute switch. I believe it weighs about 30 lbs. The standard head is nice and small and has a very sturdy tolex covereing with a good handle. LOTS of power for a couple of AGGIE GS112's. I am in the process of evaluating two AGGIE 112's versus Bergantino HT122 and the EX112 extension cab. I think they are smaller and lighter than the Aggie cabs, but more expensive. I love my Bergie HT322 cab so much, but would like something smaller and more modular for smaller gigs. I'll never part with the HT322 though. In it's defense, it has wheels and I can roll it and my amp rack in anywhere. I don't have too many stairs or steps to contend with out here in Sunny Tucson, Az.

I've done a search and have read plenty about aggie GS112's and Bergantino 112's. But would love to hear from those who have A/B'd Two Aggie 112's versus two (2) Bergie 112's. Thanks!~

Good luck.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Power needed would be 300 minimum and I would feel more comfortable with 350-500. Money is not an issue; this will be a 25th anniversary present from my adorable wife! Weight is more of a concern- 30 Lbs. is heavier than I would like. I'm more interested in the lightweight stuff. The band is a jazzrock bunch and the guitarist is loud but not overwhelming- he plays small tube combos (Boogie, Fender) usually. Good ideas so far- Thanx! Oh- 48 is NOT old and I still rock...:D

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Eden WT-330
    Eden WT-400
    Eden WT-550
    Mesa Walkabout

These should work for you, depending on volume and wattage needs... I've heard the Walkabout is a bit underrated as far as power goes.

11. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    The Aggies need a good bit of power (400 watts at 4 ohms powering two was not enough IMO) to cut through the mix. The Ashdown EVO 500 rack version may weigh 30 lbs, but it feels lighter than my old Eden WT800 at 28 lbs. The Ashdown would be a nice, versitile match. GK's generally weigh 18 lbs and are powerful. EA makes some light powerful amps but are expensive. Maybe a Stuart poweramp with a rack pre (again $$$). Somehow, less weight often equals more money these days. Moderate cost- Ashdown, Mesa and GK (and maybe the new Eden 550).

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I disagree - my AI Clarus doesn't push 2 to the limit, but it still sounds good. My DB359 at 200w makes them sing. Same with the DB728 at 400w.

Granted, you're always going to get a better tone with more headroom - but you can definitely cut through the mix with less...

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have used one pair with my SVTIII Pro (26lbs-450watts) and found them (gulp....credibility gap?) louder and cleaner than my Peavey 410TX/115BXBW stack! This was in a very loud rehearsal setting and the high point(s) of the evening was watching one of the guitarists looking...then looking again and shaking his head in disbelief at just how loud and clean these little speakers were! My stage rig now is another pair of the GS112s with my F-1X/PLX head. The rack weighs about 31lbs. It has more power than I will need. The Aggies sound great running the PLX1602 in stereo at 300 watts per cab. Bridging offers up 800 watts per cab, which they handle without any distress, whatsoever(one cab with 1100 watts is also no sweat). I again wish to publicly thank all of you forumites for turning me on to these great little cabs!

Kim