1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Recommendation for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockin982, Jan 20, 2005.

1. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    I just picked up a new bass yesterday - a Brice Prestige Z Neck Thru 6-String , and I need recommendations on a new amp for practice.

I don't know what my budget is yet, except that it's definitely no more than $500 or so (but I really would rather not spend that much if I don't have to). I do want to buy new, so that I can get some kind of a warranty and all that good stuff.

As far as sound, I need versatility. I want to play a variety of styles: jazz fusiuon, gospel, R&B, as well as classical and solo work a la Manring, Wooten, Patitucci, etc. For what it's worth though, I would like a nice warm, deep tone with good clarity. I don't know whether a cabinet+head or a combo would be better - I'm new to all this.

Mostly the amp is for practice, but as I get better I will want to jam so I need something that can handle that. But the most important thing to me is good sound because when I'm practicing, I need to be able to hear it as if I were performing at Carnegie Hall (as much as reasonably possible, anyway). And as mentioned before, price is a factor, but I'm not above spending for quality. If I HAD to pick a number, I'd say $250 sounds like a nice round number, but once again I can go higher or definitely lower depending on what can be had at what price.

Any suggestions?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For $500 or less, you have very limited options but here goes my suggestion.

Hartke 1400 head (closeout at Samash.com - 60% off and free ship) $119

Click Me

Avatar B212 (2x12) 4 ohm ($279+ $42 ship)
    Click Me

That brings you to $440 with a few buck left over for cords, tuner, etc.. Avatar also has an Ashdown 300 w amp for just $288 (free ship) but that puts you closer to $600, but it would be worth the extra bucks as the Ashdown is much more powerful and a better unit in general...

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I recommend a Used Hartke 3500 head (around $250.) and a Used Peavey BX 1-15 Black Widow 4ohm cab. (Usually around $150.) Try this www.daddys.com