Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Recommendation for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockin982, Jan 20, 2005.

1. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    I just picked up a new bass yesterday - a Brice Prestige Z Neck Thru 6-String , and I need recommendations on a new amp for practice.

I don't know what my budget is yet, except that it's definitely no more than $500 or so (but I really would rather not spend that much if I don't have to). I do want to buy new, so that I can get some kind of a warranty and all that good stuff.

As far as sound, I need versatility. I want to play a variety of styles: jazz fusiuon, gospel, R&B, as well as classical and solo work a la Manring, Wooten, Patitucci, etc. For what it's worth though, I would like a nice warm, deep tone with good clarity. I don't know whether a cabinet+head or a combo would be better - I'm new to all this.

Mostly the amp is for practice, but as I get better I will want to jam so I need something that can handle that. But the most important thing to me is good sound because when I'm practicing, I need to be able to hear it as if I were performing at Carnegie Hall (as much as reasonably possible, anyway). And as mentioned before, price is a factor, but I'm not above spending for quality. If I HAD to pick a number, I'd say $250 sounds like a nice round number, but once again I can go higher or definitely lower depending on what can be had at what price.

Any suggestions?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For $500 or less, you have very limited options but here goes my suggestion.

Hartke 1400 head (closeout at Samash.com - 60% off and free ship) $119

Click Me

Avatar B212 (2x12) 4 ohm ($279+ $42 ship)
    Click Me

That brings you to $440 with a few buck left over for cords, tuner, etc.. Avatar also has an Ashdown 300 w amp for just $288 (free ship) but that puts you closer to $600, but it would be worth the extra bucks as the Ashdown is much more powerful and a better unit in general...

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I recommend a Used Hartke 3500 head (around $250.) and a Used Peavey BX 1-15 Black Widow 4ohm cab. (Usually around $150.) Try this www.daddys.com