Amp recommendation for a noob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Manitou, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Hey, guys,

I've been trying to do my homework, but I think I should've been left behind a year :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a 4x10 and a 1x15 from Avatar (seems to get favorable reviews from a lot of TB'ers).

If I go that route, what would be good to power it? We're doing small gigs right now, but I anticipate that changing soon (don't we all? <G>). I was thinking maybe a Peavey Firebass, but I know squat about this stuff.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance,

2. You didn't mention price, but the Firebass/Avatar combination sounds like a good one. I'm not a big fan of mixing cab sizes on a mono amp though. Without a way to control the volume to each cab, the 4x10 cab will tend to overpower the 1x15 cab.
  3. How about a Hartke 7000 with that cab config?
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Although he doesnt post here anymore a man named Quadzilla uses that exact rig and seems to like it alot (HARTKE HA7000 with avatar 410 and 15). I'd go for it.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'd leave out the 15 since you are doing small cab should be enough. Your rig will look cool with an added 15 but the 410 will be plenty. I'd save the cash and put it into a nice hybrid head or a preamp + power amp setup. Without a price range I don't know what to suggest.
  6. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have the 2x10 and 1x15 from Avatar and I use the Hartke 5000 rather than the 7... The difference in cabs and amp model were chosen for weight and portability issues. I will say that the Hartke amp heads are not my favorite sounding, but they have a lot of punch and power for a good price. The 7000 has more watts, but it is rather heavy.