1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Recommendation? Specs Needed Inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThemBones, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ThemBones

ThemBones

May 2, 2014
    NC
    I am a new convert to bass, I still play guitar but bass is becoming more and more active for me.

I play mostly at church, the church has a GK 1001RB which sounds but has been my only real exposure.

I play a MIM PBass, it is stock but I have a USA standard PBass pickup I plan to put in it.

Random thoughts/needs:
    - Play small gigs with probably rock, country, covers, drunk freebird etc.
    - Direct out would be nice for a church setting
    - Sounds ok at home in an apartment to practice with
    - Prefer combo but not opposed to head/cab
    - I like a nice fat sound deep and rummmbly

OK I am sure people get tired of recommending things but I appreciate it in advance.

Thank You!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Budget?

3. ThemBones

ThemBones

May 2, 2014
    NC
    Ahh yes, sorry, thank you for pointing that out.

I would really like to stay around $600-$700 if possible.

I have been around buying, selling, trading guitar gear for years so I am not opposed to used.

4. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Oct 8, 2013
    Los Angeles
    When I hear "nice fat sound deep and rumbly" I think, 15" speaker with all tube amp. Like the Ampeg B-15. But that's just my interpretation. I will recommend the TC Electronic line of combos with "Toneprint." I tried it a few weeks back and I really like the tube simulation it has. I think it fits your budget nicely. Has an XLR out (pre or post eq), AUX in, headphone out, and weighs only 44lbs (2x10 model). Small gigs i'd still consider 2 speakers of any type, i'd go for the 2x10. I play with a 2x10 (actually 4x10 isobaric, but same volume levels), loud drummer and guitars and I still have more volume to push. :) I am not sure how a single 12" or 15" pushing 250W will hold up next to a drummer, maybe someone here with more experience can chime in.

Anyways, that's my recomendation but of course try it for yourself!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Elec...-with-2-TonePrint-Slots-109318196-i3225351.gc

5. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    As usual will suggest the 329usd shipped genz benz ctr500-115t. Just a steal at that price from proaudiostar. The combo is a bit big and it's got tons of power, you'll have to do a bit of tweaking to keep it quiet. If you don't have little kids around who might decide to crank it when you aren't around its probably manageable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genz-Benz-C...15-Combo-Amplifier-PROAUDIOSTAR-/301196391755

for another 329usd shipped you can get a matching focus 115 cabinet if you really need it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genz-Benz-F...-Focus-LT-1x15-Cab-PROAUDIOSTAR-/301199795698

also at proaudiostar.com but they want the combo amp for 349usd there. Maybe if you contact them directly you can bypass ebay and get both for 658usd shipped.

6. ThemBones

ThemBones

May 2, 2014
    NC
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Some thoughts I had was:
    - Rumble 500 v3
    - TC Electronic listed but I had heard it could be boxy sounding
    - LH500 or one of those type smaller heads with a smaller cab.

The Genz Benz CTR500 is a new one to me but I can say having been around guitar for years and years and going to lots of concerts I know the name.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014