Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Recommendations for a Euphonic Audio VL-108

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Halftooth, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I have a EA VL-108 that I'd like to use for a transportable practice rig, but I have no small amp to power it. The VL-108 to my knowledge is not a very efficient little cab, so the amp has got to be high power or high current. Any recommendations? I'd like to get something like a Walkabout, a little Eden, or something else of that nature that will give me some amplification to use with a 5 string. Thanks a lot!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the VL-series is, indeed, not very efficient, a Walkabout or WT-550 is probably going to push a VL-108 well enough for your purposes. The VL-210's are the really power hungry models. Other compact heads that you might want to consider would be the iAMP 500, pert near anything from Walter Woods, or a new AI Focus. The Clarus SL is pretty darn amazing for its size, too.

Of course, what you should really do is just sell your VL-108 to me (so I can round out my collection) and pick up an iAMP200 Wizzy Combo!;)

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to check into the AI stuff. They're defintley on the portable list. A buddy of mine that has a Boogie deal just picked up a Walkabout so maybe I can try it out and see how it sounds. The early report of the Walkabout was that it was a little short on power to run a 15' Boogie cab, so that may not be a good sign, but I should just try it out before getting any preconceived thoughts.

If I ever think of selling this cab, I'll let you know. I have thought about it in the past that if I can't find the right amp to power it, I'll sell it and look for some type of combo.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    From my experience, the Walkabout is not ideal for pushing an 8 ohm cab in a loud situation, but I would presume that if you are using just one VL-108, you aren't needing to be very loud. Perhaps I am wrong in that. If I am, then I agree with your friend that the Walkabout doesn't quite get it with a single 8 ohm cab. However, give it a 4 ohm load, and you have a totally different situation. It pushes my 4 ohm Wizzy very, very well, and it pushes two or three 8 ohm cabs just fine.

That said, my rule of thumb with VL-series cabs has been to give each cab 250w min to play with, and preferably 400w or more. The VL-108 should be the easiest to drive, but the "250/400 rule" has held fairly true for my VL-110, VL-208 and VL-210 cabs.

And yes, I would be extremely interested in your cab, if you ever would sell it. But, my guess is that if you pair it up with a AI head or the iAMP 500, you won't want to get rid of it!