1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp recommendations for Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebige, Nov 1, 2006.

1. What sort of rig would you recommend for someone who plays fretless bass? I don't have a whole lot of money to play with ($600 - 800 for the head and the Cab...Ok maybe I could go to $1000) I've been looking at the Ashdown Mag 300 head but I've read that it may not be well suited to fretless (http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=344). I've played through an Ampeg 2BR. It has real meaty tone but not a lot of detail.

So what are your thoughts/Experiences/Advice?

Thanks

E

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Cabs with 12's seem to sound a bit better to me.

3. Maybe a GK head. Pretty good sound for the bucks.

4. warswr

warswr

Oct 21, 2006
    SWR SM 500 is incredible. I play exclusively a fretless warwick. I run an SM500 into an Ashdown 4x10. theres nothing quite like it. If you want to hear the sound go to www.myspace.com/taximusic

listen to 'valve' (the other two songs are before i had the SM 500). After the long solo theres a little bass thing. I think it represents it pretty well. Of course thats my personal preference for tone, but you can get anything out of the amp, and really get a solid growl.

*Sorry for the shamless plug

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Since the mwah hides in the midrange, it's best to have an amp with a parametric midrange control that allows you to choose the center frequency of the mid boost.

6. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    A GK 700RB with a 2x10 or 2x12 is nice. Inexpensive, but powerful. 12's tend to be the best in the mwah factor.