1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cyberx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. cyberx

cyberx

Mar 20, 2009
    Finally getting back into playing again after about 10 years hiatus. I've been playing on and off on my Hohner Acoustic bass in the meantime. Prior to my taking time off, I had a 67 Fender Bassman 50 (kicking myself for getting rid of it) and a pre-Guitar Center Acoustic Combo. Was pretty satisfied with both at the time.

Recently, took the big step and moved to a 6 string Ibanez SR506. I love it but, am a bit out of touch with regard to the amp I might want to use with it.

I don't have an amp right now and I'm looking to get something that has a nice, rich, warm sound. (who doesn't?).
    Anyway, I just plan to play in my home and once in a while head down the street to jam with a local guitar player. (and maybe record a few idea's here and there)

Not looking to spend a ton but want to get something quality. (anywhere up to about $400).

Anybody out there have any recommendations?

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest looking at the T.B. classifieds.
    To find a decent, complete, bass rig for $400.00 these days your gonna have to go used or settle for a new small combo. Something like Fender's Rumble series or the small G.K. Backlines or G.C. Acoustics, ect.

3. cyberx

cyberx

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks, I am completely fine with used.
    Just wanted to get a few opinions on the better amps in that price range new and used.

Thanks again for the info!

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Get yourdelf a nice GK RBX 210 cab with the 400, and scrape up another 250.00 for GK head.

You will never regret this suggestion.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Fender has two models in the Rumble series that maybe what your looking for. Their both 100 watts, have XLR outs, casters, ect. One model has a 15" speaker and horn $349.00, (I think), the other model has 2-10's and a horn, $399.00, (I think.)
    I've played through them in a store and they sound good.
    They'd work well for personal rehearsal or small, low volume gigs.

6. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I have the 210 and love it (weighs about 60 lbs though). The other 2 I really like in this price range are the SWR LA12 and LA15. If I had the extra money to get a smaller combo amp just for the hell of it, I'd quickly pick up the LA12.