Amp reliability, do I need a backup? And other issues.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimD, Feb 5, 2006.

1. JimD

Jun 21, 2002
    I have an Ashdown ABM 500 I bought new that goes into a Berg Ht112/Ex112 mini stack. I did have a couple of problems when I got the amp last spring. First, it arrived damaged with a broken board that the rear in/out jacks are mounted to. Ashdown fixed these at an authorized repair shop within an hours drive. Then, at practice I stepped onto my cord and broke the input jack from the pc board. Back to the shop, and to date no problems. Love the sound of this setup, but as my first solid state rig, maybe overly cautious.

As relatively new to playing bass (1 yr), I wonder how reliable my equipment is, and expecting the worst to happen, what do I need for backup? I'm playing in a band that gets together weekly for practice, and we play a bar gig 2 or 3 times a month. I'll be playing guitar for 1 of 3 sets, handing off my bass equipment to the other players in the band. I'm a bit reluctant but I want to play some guitar and the band needs to expand musically.

I started playing out with a Ric v63 but bought a MIM Precision specifically to around pass to the other band members. The band members have agreed to spend a few hundred for another bass amp to use at practice and gigs. I'm thinking a Peavey TNT w/ pa support, and not use my rig, but the sound.... will be gone.

So a few questions;
    Am I being overly cautious? What are my backup options?
    Anybody else share guitar/bass duties, and how do you deal with wailing on eachothers' equipment?
    Do I buy another head and use my ABM 500 for backup?
    Does a Sansamp Bass Driver fit into this picture?
    Will the TNT work although it won't get the sound from the present setup? Thanks in advance!
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    They aren't going to break it.

Wire your input cable, with some slack, through a handle on a cabinet or something. If you've ever seen Back to the Future - Doc does this same thing when he slides down from the clock tower.

Why buy another amp with crappier tone, if you have a great one right now? It's not like you've got an AC30, or something extremely fragile. Ashdown amps are built to last for a long, long time, as are most bass amps these days. Be a bit careful with it, and watch that input cable, and it will be fine for years to come.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This should be part of the FAQ: Run the input cable through something like the carrying handle, to protect the amp if the cable gets jerked. It also protects the cable itself. Similarly route the speaker cable if convenient.