Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Repair - Acoustic 850 PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razman, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Okay, so it's not a true bass amp, but I just scored it at a pawn shop and I'm going to be playing my bass through it for practice at my house - does that count??

I did my research, looked through old posts, etc. and was wondering what the best cleaner would be for the pots? It seemed that WD-40 was frowned upon, and that Radio Shack had a good product for cleaning & lubricating the pots, so what sayest the rest of you repair-types out there? How much do I spray in them, what other maintenance tasks should I perform? This is a great relic that is in pretty good condition; cleaned up it will look very nice.

I plugged it in and tried it, and all but one of the channels worked. I'm not sure if the reverb works on all the channels as I was just playing a CD through it and couldn't really tell. After I take it apart and clean out all the cobwebs and such I'll know more. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

2. The Radio Shack lube-cleaner you are talking about works fine.I used some on the Carvin R 1000 bass head I used to have and it cleaned up the scatchy pot that was bugging me.I've also used it on the pots in my basses too with good results.Just be careful when spraying it,it comes out very fast so just a little touch is all you need.Congrats on the Acoustic,I had six channel mixer in the 70s that worked pretty good.

3. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks Blues Bass 2, I'll try it. I had a 370 a year ago but had to sell it. Wish I could have kept it; if I ever see a deal on another (or any other Acoustic) I'll swipe it up. I just read this mixer is good for 550 watts max; guess I better find some good speakers now...