Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp repair in the Minneapolis area?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peewee, Mar 11, 2006.

1. peewee

peewee

Oct 12, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Can anyone suggest who to call in the Minneapolis area for amp repair?

I have a nice little Eden Metro that fell out of a van during load in. It landed face-first on the concrete, so the front panel is bashed in and only one of the two channels is working. :crying:

I'm open to using either an actual amp repair business, or going to a guru-type guy that does this sort of thing in his basement.

Thanks!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The best repair around seems to be SAVAGE AUDIO in savage. 952-894-1022. ask them first. if you're far from savage (south of river between 35 and 169) you could drop it off at "Jim Harm's: my music store" (not me) in golden valley 763-525-0311 TB'r fishbulb works there and they'd send it to savage (every tuesday 12 noon) or willies guitar in st. paul, 651-699-1913 I think send their repairs there.

Savage audio makes custom amps too so they don't just troubleshoot by the book.

good luck

p.s. I'm in crystal :)

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Eden is in Montrose MN. It's only an hour and a half from you. Call them and get an RA number from the Illinois headquarters, toll free, and UPS it to Montrose, Mn. They will fix it, charge it to your credit card, and UPS it right back yo you. Very simple. Won't probably cost as much as the local guy., who would have to order the parts from them, and it'll take longer. Turn around will probably be about 2 to 3 weeks, at most. I just got my WT-330 back from a power up-grade to the 405 power specs. Good Luck!

4. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mcrelly, I grew up in Crystal!

For what it's worth:
    I just got my amp repaired at EMI, who does good work.
    2852 Johnson St NE Minneapolis, MN 55418
    612-789-2496

5. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Good deal. Another option for amp repair is "The Good Guys" in Saint Paul. They're just a tiny cluttered shop in a basement, but they have a good reputation. I don't know if they repair structural damage though, like a broken baffle. They'll fix almost any MI electronic gear though.

6. sjoakes

sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    +1 for Savage Audio, I just got my Ashdown fixed by them a few months back -quality work and reasonable turnaround time!

Might be worth checking with Eden though, seeing as they're relatively local...

7. The Good Guys do good work and they're reasonable, but their turnaround time is often quite long. Savage Audio would be my choice normally, but the Eden / Montrose solution sounds like the smart way to go in your case.

8. Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Mar 20, 2005
    I hate to say it but i have an SWR amp on my bench now that Savage worked out and the work is HORRIBLE! they didnt use OEM parts or even same branded parts but generic NTE parts and the repair quality is very bad. they lost all the case screws and just stuck any screw they could find in the chassis.

I had reccommended Savage for a long time but if this is typical of there work... I was very shocked when i saw this.

I have a stream of dissatisfied customers coming my way from Good Guys, EMI, Metro and now Savage! I am the guru type mentioned earlier. have a shop in my house and have never really thought of opening a shop but serious thoughts have been on my mind latley. there seems to be a serious need for a quality repair shop in the TC area.

I would agree with the others that said send it back to Eden.

9. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I use to own a Navigator pre-amp that had an issue called Eden, got a RA# and drove it to the repair facility in Montrose, Mn. Three weeks later was able to drive back to Eden and pickup my amp.

10. +1 for EMI, Good Guys. I have never used Savage Audio, so I don't know about them. You could give Solid Body Guitars in Moundsview a call, I've heard good things about them, but have never tryed them myself (http://www.solidbodyguitar.com/). Or, call Eden and send it to Montrose, it may be cheaper...or not.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

We used a guy that we nicknamed crazy Ed. Ed is a great guy , into skeet shooting and pro-grade fire works competition. He toured for a long time as a bass player and loves his craft.
    His work is superb and the cost is reasonable. Unfortunetlyhe usually has a backlog of work. His shop is a couple of blocks South of Lake Street. I could look around for his number.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

12. Ed! I forgot about him. He did work on my old Portaflex. Great guy, I don't have his number anymore. Wesley: can you send me his number? I need ti put it in a safe place.

13. Wesley R

It was weird Ed. I payed a re-built B15N that he had for sale. It was solid sounding.
    Is it legit and all to post his number? Mod, If not let me know.

Ed
    612-721-3130

3848 42nd Ave S.
    Minneapolis, MN 55406

14. Savage Audio is where almost all of the music stores send thier amps off to. I know Jeff personally......I play bass in his band. Tell him Tallpaul sent you. He just worked on my Hartke 3500 when it slid off my Avatar cab....Boom!
    Many touring pros have Jeff and his crew go through thier amps when in town for a gig..
    The good guys used to be better.....one of the founders has left , the master talent.
    Just my 2 cents.........paul

15. Thanks!

Yep, that's him, I recognize the address. I remember he would only accept cash, because, "with musicians, man, you never know if their checks are good...I mean, I'm a bass player and my check are terrible."

He was somethin'.

16. Wesley R

I sold him a big bunch of tubes on credit and he stood good for it.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

17. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not from that area, and it looks like you have plenty of options; but I would suggest giving Tim O'Brian of O'Brian amps a call. His shop is in D.C. Music off of I-10 in Blaine. Great guy...

18. Wesley R

Tim is a great guy also. His line of amps is spectacular. After Torps closed, I kinda latched on to DC music. The Twin Cities is blessed with some really good stores, speaker recone places, custom manufacturers, boutique stores etc.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.