1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amp repair shop recommendations east of Seattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rip Van Dan, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I have an Eden WT500 (upgraded to 800-watts bridged at 8 ohms) that fell when I was moving my gear - DOH! - and needs repair. After some simple troubleshooting steps on my part it appears that the power sections are damaged. The right channel distorts like a distortion pedal and the the left channel as well as the bridged output both distort far worse. Preamp seems to be OK as I ran an effects-out into my back-up amp's effects-return, and that sounded fine. Going from my back-up amp to the WT500/800 power section though was terrible.

Bass Northwest in Seattle used to be an authorized Eden repair shop, but they closed in September of 2015. I have a schematic of my amp but need a good repair shop to put it back into working condition. Since it's an older amp (1999) I'm hoping it might be just some cracked or cold solder joints. Would prefer someplace east of Seattle but can drive into Seattle if I have to.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Rip Van Dan likes this.
  3. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    This is not a tube though. It is a hybrid in that it has one 12ax7 amp in the impedance section of the amp, which is what gives it its warmth. Outside of that it is totally solid state. Nonetheless, I'll check those shops out on Monday. Thanks for the response.

Dan

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    A couple of the shops do solid state repairs. Please post your results.
    :thumbsup:

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  5. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Yeah I was hoping so. I'll check with them on Monday. I checked with one shop in the area and they said they only worked on tube amps but recommended Aviator in Edmonds for Solid State and hybird amps. So, I'll probably check with them first.

Thanks for the reply Stumbo.

Dan

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would say most places in continental North America are east of Seattle.

7. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Really???

Pretty much everything except Alaska is east of Seattle.

Thanks so much for your flippant comment while I'm trying to find a place to get my primary amplifier working again. I hope you enjoyed your laugh and I hope you don't find yourself in my position anytime in the near future.

If you were at all familiar with the Seattle area, that question makes perfect sense. I try to avoid driving across Puget Sound because of the tolls and the traffic. I'm about 30 miles and 1 to 1½-hour's drive east of Seattle. If you're not familiar with the Seattle area; can't recommend a repair shop; can't refer me to a TalkBass thread that deals with it; then why are you posting in this thread? Just to be sarcastic? Really?? That's pretty shallow.

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    If it were me, I would contact Marshall (which I understand now is the official distributor of Eden amplifiers) and try to get that into an authorized service center. You can ship the amp to them for repair and it might save you a trip this way. They'd have lots of experience with that amp where most generalists wouldn't.

You might also want to give Chad at The Bass Shop in West Seattle a call - I would imagine he'd have some good ideas for you (Chad was with BassNW while that was still around).

Folks locally have always pointed me to Rick at Aviator Audio and he knows a lot about the classic tube amps. Not sure if he'd feel comfortable working on an Eden, but you can ask. You'll likely want to pay for "rush" service which should get your amp back in a week instead of three months. A premium but worth it. You can drop it off at Mike Lull's shop if you don't want to drive into Seattle. Rick's partner picks amps up and delivers them back there regularly.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I find your reply to be disproportionate to what I actually said.

10. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Probably proportionate to the frustration I'm experiencing at the moment and the anticipation I experienced when I saw another person was answering with an expected suggestion, only to find your flippant remark. This isn't a P-bass vs. J-bass thread where such remarks can often provide some comic relief. There's nothing funny about trying to get your primary amp fixed locally instead of having to ship it off somewhere. The price of shipping a 26-lb amp isn't cheap and may add a couple of weeks to the turnaround time.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the restraint in your reply to my admittedly terse response and my apologies for coming off as a jerk. I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.

DigitalMan likes this.
  11. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Thanks Alexander. I'll give Chad a call. This is not an all-valve amp. It has one tube in the preamp. I've contacted a couple of "Tube Amp" repair shops and they came back with a quick, "we don't work on solid state amps". Left a message at Aviator yesterday (they're only open Tue-Sat.) and left another message this AM.

Unlike Eden when David Nordschow owned it, there's no central place you can send an Eden amp in now. Amps are made in China and D-series speaker cabs are made at Marshall in the UK. It would have to go to an authorized repair station to keep the warranty, but the two-year warranty on mine was over in 2001. There no longer is an authorized repair station in Washington state. I do have the schematic for it, so I'm hoping to find someone comparatively local that I can drive to as opposed to shipping it.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    In that case I think I would be looking to use whoever used to be the authorized service provider up there, unless they had a poor track record for whatever reason.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  13. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Rick at Aviator called me back and after a short conversation, he's very familiar and able to work with it. Plus, he has a place in Bellevue I can drop it and his shop will pick up so I don't have to drive all the way to Edmonds. Of course, he's as busy as all get out. Prices are slightly higher than others I've found, but no need to ship and he has a stellar rep. Will probably do this tomorrow.

Passinwind likes this.
  14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Sounds good. People with more experience with particular amps often charge more. They know how to evaluate the test the unit, the work is performed quicker. A good tech is worth their weight in gold.

Rip Van Dan likes this.