Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp repair Tacoma, South Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blipndub, Sep 9, 2004.

1. My SVT needs some love and I don't want to send it back to Ampeg (weeks and weeks turnaround).

Any recommendations for a good tech in the Tacoma area?

I heard about Pro Audio or Pro Sound, something like that, but I can't find a listing.

2. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Hi there,

I don't know of anyone qualified in Tacoma but I highly recommend Erickson Audio in Bellevue, WA. I live in the Seattle area and own / have owned lots of tube guitar amps over the years. Erickson Audio is, by far, the best repair facility in the area for tube and solid state audio electronics.

My $0.02
    Dennis

3. Thanks Dennis I'll look them up.

Any other suggestions? I'm kinda hoping to avoid the whole Seattle thing because I know there are so many in the city. I live in Oly and work in Tacoma/Lakewood so a place pretty close where I could drop it off during a lunch break would be good. Although my mom lives in Snohomish so Belleview is a pretty good option.

wow - too many details there...

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I second the vote for Erickson Audio in Bellevue. They are the most professional, courteous, and knowledgeable repair shop I have ever been in. Very reasonable prices too, and they will discuss any repair with you for hours. Great people.

Plus... it's very near Mike Lull's shop. You can go say hi to Mike and play some basses while you're up there!

Their info:

Erickson Audio
    13212 NE 16th St
    Bellevue WA

(425) 747-1454

5. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Yep! Erickson Audio is the only shop in the greater Seattle metro that I'll trust with my amps.

Mike Lull is the man! He's been making my stringed things play like buttah' for 15 years now. His custom instruments are awesome!

6. So can you just drop off stuff at Lull's and have him do like routine set ups and stuff?

7. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    That be true.

8. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If you don't want to go up north, you could always call guitarmaniacs & see if they know anyone. They are in downtown Tacoma.

9. That's a cool shop, it's almost like a museum. But I've always gotten kind of a weird vibe from there. Like, I couldn't possibly be hip enough or something - my gear isn't lofi enough or funky enough or whatever. But you're right I bet they are in the know.

What about BassNW? I get the impression that they are really busy, but is their work any good? That's a fun place to browse...

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've bought stuff from BassNW, but never tried to run repairs through them. I agree with Erickson - they totally redid a tube guitar amp for me and it was sweet. They also have some pretty cool pedals and such in the shop that they hot-rodded. They ain't exactly cheap, but they are the best around here. There was another guy who used to run a whop out of GC in Kirkland - I believe his name was Randy Parsons, but I cannot remember exactly. I think he is downtown now.

And yes, stop by Guitarworks - Mike and staff are good guys and I find their work to be excellent. Was in there recently looking for a pickguard and they had some nice Lulls hanging up...

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    And another vote for Erickson. If those guys can't make you happy, you're just a PITA customer.

-Mike

12. The chorus of support for Erikson is assuring. I'm going to drop off my ampeg tomorrow. I'll tell them that they are loved by the good folks on talkbass!

They need a website! I bet they could barter for that...

13. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    You might want to check with Emerald City Guitar in Seattle. (83 S. Washington) They're primarily guitar, but have a pretty cool collection. I've only been in there a few times, but they seem to be a pretty cool bunch.

I don't know if BassNW does amp repairs in house. I've had some work done by their old tech, Matt Hill, and he was pretty good. That is, if you can find him.

-Eric.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Matt Hill "fixed" my MTD's and put the original pickups back in. Thing is, he screwed up the bartolini preamp in the process, and then disappeared with my Lane Poor soapbar pickups. I never did get those back. I'd stay far away from Matt if I were you.

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I am told our turnaround is a couple weeks right now.

That's a lot of shipping weight, though. And I don't like the shipping options these days, speaking personally.

I have been "unpleased" with my personal experiences shipping and receiving via UPS. Sometimes I think UPS stands for United Package Smashers.

Fedex gets silly cost-wise, (as if UPS was cheap).

16. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Nobody likes a thief. :mad:

BassNW has alot of cool gear though; I drop by there every once in a while. I've seen a repair table for instuments, but never seen amps repaired there.

17. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have been "unpleased" with my personal experiences shipping and receiving via UPS. Sometimes I think UPS stands for United Package Smashers.

I bought a fender twin off ebay & had it shipped via ups & they cracked the cabinet. Not good!!!