Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Revamp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mark beem, Aug 30, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Now that I've sunk into the sub-contrabass realm I'm needing a rig to faithfully reproduce those horrible, below standard four string frequencies. Here's what I'm considering:

Carvin R1000 Red Line Series III 1000 Watt Bass Amp Head
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I know Carvin is a dark horse to some around here, but I played through one at the Bass Summit and really loved the tone. Lots of pro level features in one unit.

12AX7 Tube Emulator Circuit (better sounding, no tube maintenance)
    Noise Gate
    Compressor
    Bi-amp CROSSOVER sweepable from 200 to 2k Hz
    High current Twist-Lok speaker connectors
    Direct Out
    Freq. Resp: 20Ð20k Hz (Low F# = 22 Hz)

Madison Speakers MAB183 Subwoofer
    [​IMG]

One thing I've discovered in my "sub search" is that most cabs out there labelled "subs" won't even faithfully reproduce an open B (31 Hz)!!

Bassist extraordianire, AL Caldwell really sings the praises of the Madison cabs. Gonna call the company next week and get the ball rolling. Fantastic value

20 - 2000 Hz freq response.

Aguilar GS210 2X10 Cab. I really liked the sound of xush's 4X10 he had at the Summit.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played a Carvin head thru the 80's til it got swiped with my Ric 4003 :mad:
    I loved it biamped into EV loaded 4x12 and Yamaha 1x18 PA sub... I've no issues buying Carvin gear(played an LB75 for years)

I've found my 'Holy Grail' rig that I'm hoping to have assembled ASAP.

Avalon U5
    Crest LT1000
    Bergantino NV610

:cool:

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Progzilla

I would really suggest for what your needing, look into a little different setup. I’ll be happy to talk with you off the forum. But the note ranges your wanting needs power. Low Low Freq need more power then higher freq’s. A solid Power amp would be the biggest concern and Item to look for. At any real volume I’m afraid most any head won’t do you justice. Get power and quality power, not some head unit that you’re blowing money on a name not quality.

This said, if you like the Carvin preamp section then buy the preamp. Just not the head unit! That goes for any other brand out there. If you like the eden preamp section that's fine, to each his own. Put don’t settle for a second rate power section. You can actually spend less money and get more by buying a preamp/power amp setup!

As for the cab’s, hmmmm, check around. I think you might find cabs better suited for what you want, just my opinion from feedback I’ve gotten. I will say I have no first hand experience!

4. Carvin no longer offers a bass pre-amp. I thought of going that route when I was assembling a rig. I almost purchased the RL1000 anyway, using it as a preamp, along with a power amp. The idea was, if the power amp crapped out at a gig, the RL000 would get me through a gig.

The RL000 is not a terrible amp, although I think the Series II (tube pre)was a tad warmer then the new Series III. (tube emulator)

If the RL1000 was to be used in bridged mode I think it would be ok. But if you're going bi-amped, it might lack some power....depending on how loud your stage volume is.

I've seen Carvin preamps on ebay, but not very often.

My .02

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd be interested in your suggestions Brian. PM me with what you had in mind.

6. have you had a look at bag end?

i'm looking at cabs for a new rig at the moment and remember seeing something on the bagend site about some cabs (i think they were PA cabs) capable of 8hz when used with some power section thing, might be worth looking into

Tom

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah, Ive looked at those.. Beware.. that "power section thing" is an additional $2000 or there abouts..