1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amp rig help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drjojo42, Apr 24, 2006.

1. drjojo42

drjojo42

Mar 1, 2006
    bowie md
    hey im new here and just started taking bass lessons about two months ago,i play guitar in a band so ive taken to the bass pretty well,im realy diging it,started slaping and playing some funk tunes,well i got a schecter custon 4 that i like and sounds good enouph,im playing though a swr working mans 15,and its just doesnt have enouph power and im just not bonding with it,id like to get a rig that has good lows that are clear and punchy,and moves air at a resonable voulume.i want to be able to gig with it in clubs that hold up to two hundred people. i play blues , classic rock and funk .i own good gear so im all ready kind of spoiled,and just want the same for my bass :help:

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    300 watts is a reasonable amount a power to start with for bass. Something using a 15" and/or 2 - 10" speakers is also a fair starting point for getting heard.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Whats the price range?

4. you should check all the music stores and play everything. there is so much out there, but dont let a salesman push you into buying something. Check the forum and Harmony central for reviews. you want gear that will last you a while.

Here is my story..

I bought a Behringer BX4500 bass Head (amp). Its pushes 450 Watts at 4 ohms, relatively new cheap around $250.00 US dollars on line. You will hear some of the folks who post here say that behringer is terrible. I have a friend that uses the same head and gigs every week. He loves the product and has no problems with it. This is a guy who plays ampeg and Eden and avatar cabs also. It sounded good when I heard him in a packed club.

For the cabs, check out www.avatarspeakers.com unlike behringer, the folks in the forum love them.. You get the best bang for the buck, and the cabs are awesome. I just bought the 212 delta and the 210 Neo today both in 8ohms. Talk to Dave the owner about what you are looking for in a cab. He is knowledgable, a nice guy and very easy to talk to.

so for less than a grand, you can have a decent rig that will put out enough power and wont break your bank.

Good luck

5. drjojo42

drjojo42

Mar 1, 2006
    bowie md
    thanks for the replys ,my budget is around a grand,

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd check out a GK head with a SWR Goliath III, or maybe Jr. with a Bertha (GK cabs are pretty good too, but I like SWR better for cleantone). Eden is a great choice as well, and always look used; there are great deals to be had on awesome gear. Keep an eye out for Bergantino HT cabs used. Avatar cabs would be great, and for some awesome clean tone a GK head would go well. I would stay away from SWR heads; they are a bit underpowered from my experience. Be sure to try stuff out too.

7. kkraft

kkraft

Jul 18, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    I would have to agree there with steve66, avatar cabinets are very good and reasonably priced. I have a 2x10 and I play a 5stringed Warwick though it. It can handle decent bottom for just 2x10s. Solidly built cabinet.