Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp rig submitted for your approval

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by themightylloyd, May 25, 2002.

1. themightylloyd

themightylloyd

May 25, 2002
    Hello all, I'm new here. I'm basically ignorant regarding bass gear (and other things), but here's my situation...

I have $800 and i want a new rig. (right now i play through a fifty watt crate combo)

I'm basically looking at a SansAmp Bass Driver DI for a preamp, a RMX 850 Power Amp (QSC, or something like that) and a 4X10 cab from avatar.

These were all recommended by a guy on another forum, and to me they look perfect, and i could get them for almost $800 on the dot. But of course i want some more opinions, so fire away.

2. newbalance802

newbalance802

May 16, 2002
    Sounds good,Id check out a few other preamps first.used ampeg,peavey,sansamp,etc.....
    Looks goog though

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Try the sansamp RBI instead of the bass driver DI. Its a little more but I'm sure you can find in used in you range.

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Someone at talkbass.com was selling a used RBI for $200 earlier this week. I inquired and he seemed to think he already had a buyer, though. Regardless, they're out there!

5. yeah, the bass driver doesn't have enough output to drive a power amp. this is my experience and that of others i've talked to, but i have also heard the opposite opinion so YMMV.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've heard it said the QSC amps need a bit more "oomph" to be driven to full power than a SABDDI can provide. I've also heard there's a simple factory-approved mod that can be made to the amp to resolve the issue. Bob Lee?

Another vote for the RBI, by the way. It's really nice to have a discrete mid control, plus it has a hotter output.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd get a real bass amp like a used Metro or Super Redhead. You can always add a 410 later.