Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp selection. Carvin or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Apr 9, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    Hi everyone,

I have got an ampeg svt-350h and an svt-410he cabinet(classic ampeg 4x10 cab) and it is not loud enough. right now it's only running at 200watts because it's at 8 ohms. when i get another cab it will be 350 watts because it will be 4 ohms. Anyways i was just thinking about upgradding to a carvin r1000 or a carvin "mono block" b1500. do u think i should switch or do u think that it will be loud enough after the new cab? thanks for the help guys :bassist: rock on!!!

2. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Is the same 350w head into two 4 ohm cabinets louder than it is as 185w into one 8 ohm? Just curious.

3. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I would buy the cabinet first in order to justify wether or not you need a new amp. The second cab will give you a better increase in volume compared to more wattage.

Well, going into two four ohm cabs in parallel would give you a load of two ohms. And two eight ohm cabs will give you a four ohm load. Some amps will not allow a two ohm load, look at the back of your amp to see what the minimum load is. It will be a bit louder due to more watts being able to flow through.

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    stay with ampeg, they ****in rule... mmm i want a svt 3 pro head, and a 8x10 Svt cabinet! :bassist: :D

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'll give that a 'hell yea'

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If you are still having volume issues after the new cab, get a SVP Pro or CL and a nice 1K+ poweramp. You'll be set.