Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by castingshadows, Mar 16, 2006.

1. I am in the market for a new amp. I currently have an Ampeg SVT-350 50th Anniversary Edition head and cabinet. I like the head but it is too heavy and not rackmounted, which makes it difficult to transport. Also, from years for unprotected travel to and from gigs, it has become a bit unreliable.

I know people ask questions like this all the time, but I would like your input on my next amp. I would like something rackmountable, powerful, and fairly light. I am keeping my Ampeg cab and the Hartke 2x15 I own. Both are 8 ohm. I play a range of styles, but my two current projects are rock/pop and hip-hop.

I would like to get something for no more than $1000.

So, any suggestions? Thanks guys!

2. Light . . . so no tube amps then? a Mesa400/400+ or SVT-II would be great, but are heavy

Rackmounted and Powerful, if your looking for the ampeg sound look into an Ampeg SVP-CL and a single unit power amp, peavey make some good ones, as do a host of other companys, that way you can choose the power you want and you could probably get a light 1U one

1U preamp + 1 unit poweramp = 2U, light, powerful rackmounted setup

Should be able to get that for under $1000

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    My vote is for a Walkabout. If you don't think 300 watts(it's a very loud 300 though) is enough, you could probably pick up a used M-pulse 600 within your price range.

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
  5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Check out the Tech21 Landmark 600... :bassist: