Amp Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    With so many amps, cabinets, pre-amps out there, how do you choose an amp setup?

I find that things sound very different in a store than they do at a show, rehearsal space or in your basement. In fact, I have had amps that sound great in one space and like crap in others. I far as I know, most retailers do not let you audition the equipment in real life playing situations. So, how do you choose?
  2. brisonic

brisonic Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    Most stores will give you at least a brief return period. I would start with querying bassists whose tone you like, or just burnng an afternoon playing stuff.
  3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Do some research, test some out, take the plunge, spend the next 6 months getting to know it in a variety of situations. If it works like you want it to, keep it. If not, pass it along to someone else.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Choose the tone you like. Try out as many amps as you can. Room acoustics is a variable that can affect any amp any way, but I have found that even with bad acoustics the amps that I like sound better than the ones I don't. But the real X factor for me is the difference between sounding good solo or in a band setting.
  5. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I have often found that a good sound solo often just doesn't sound good in a live setting. Another thing is portability. I know you need a lot of air to move bass, but some of the cabinets are so big and heavy and don't fit into the trunk. And it's nice not have to make 8 trips to the car when loading up.

Are 2 x 12's sufficient to cut it in most small to medium playing situations?
  6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I think seeing a lot of acts, both local and national, really helps. Seeing Nathan East play with an Aguilar 750 through an Accugroove really showed me all I had to see.

And yes, he was in a venue so small he didn't go through the front of house.