Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp selling problem, looking into M-Pulse 360.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freakin Idiot, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I just visited Rockin Robins, my local music store and tried to sell my amp. Unfortunately, 3 weeks earlier the guy that made me a $700 offer on my 750x doesn't work there anymore (the GM I was talking to about it said that was probably why he didn't work there anymore). Anyway, the most I can get for this thing, in the $120 rack it's in, is a little over $500.

As I said in a previous thread, the M-Pulse 360 is discontinued, had a $400 price drop down to $700, and there are only around 6 still floating around the U.S. in various Guitar Centers. The guy I was talking to at RRs said he is heavy on SWR stuff and doesn't want to do a cash deal anyway. They don't even carry M/B amps because he says he doesn't like M/B and doesn't trust their lowering of prices. He thinks M/B is downgrading in quality and says I should just buy new pickups (Bartolini is what I would look at) to go with my already "killer" amp. But I am in love with M/B sound and parametric eq.

Now, I think that's a load of bull butter because I like Mesa Boogie and have put a lot of research into them and my bass with EMG HZs sounds nice through it.

Should I take a dive and spend my $200 of power amp savings and put it toward the M-Pulse 360 or buy new pickups? My birthday is in a couple of months anyway. But if I buy new pickups, I'd be shooting in the dark.

What would you guys do?

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    If you've played through the Mesa and you love the Mesa, then buy the Mesa. You'll forever regret it if you don't. We like what we like, it doesn't matter what Mr. Salesman thinks or tries to convince you to do. From the sounds of it, you'll probably be most happy if you went for the Boogie while the 360 is available. You can always upgrade pickups down the road if need be.
    Just my humble opinion.

3. I don't know exactly how to put this, so I'll put it as I see it. But first if you like the Mesa buy it. Now my story. From what I have seen. It seems all sales reps push what they have, too. As in:

1st. Up sale, Up sale, Up sale, I used to be a sales rep. And that is the name of the game. Sell the customer what you think they want. But the more expensive version. If they are set on a lower cost item. Be hesatant. Tell them something is better. If they look into another type of item. Sell them both of what they like, by shaving the price of each a little. ect.

2nd. Move it, If an item sits on the sales floor to long it cost more than it is worth. As in you could have a higher sales volume item in its place. It gets shop worn and worthless. Then the store has to drop the price until it moves. Evenutally it will drop to cost. Just to push it out.

Just to the contrary don't sell lookers. If an item draws allot of attention. But the average person can afford it. But will come in a take a look. Just to buy another product. Keep it, to spur sales. AKA Chevrolet Corvette. Sits there till some sucker pays out for it. But look how they had to skim all the profit out of their other cars. Just to get rid of the to many '05's they have. Hell delphi their electronics company, has had to drip into their credit just to stay afloat.

These are just a few things about the sales game. They are playing. They just need to move product. So they can eat. Being comissions paid. Some have more profit than others. Floor models are discounted and have less money for them. Plus the warranties and guarantees they sell. Have less money for them in it. He is just loooking for volume of sales to keep food on the table. And you need tone that digs to the bone. Let your ears do the talking. When it comes to your amp choice.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Yup its very easy to get caught up in the sales game. A lot of these guys have been selling for years and are old hats.

Just take some time out and think about your decision.

I say go with the mesa if it is being brought out of production it might hold its value better on the used market.

It sounds like you want the mesa more. The option of the pick up seems like it just threw you a bit but a the end of theday the guy is just trying to sell you stuff he has, since he doesn't carry mesa.

Oh and maybe try selling the SWR yourself through local papers or trade magazines. Your more likley to get a better price for it that way. As opposed a middle man buy it from you for less and sell it on for a higher price that you could charge someone yourself

5. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have some experience with RR.

Not a bad store, and probably has the best used gear around Houston. I got a good trade in price for a guitar amp, but it was not stellar. They used to have policy that if you were trading in, they would not lower the sticker price, which is very high. I always thought that was disengenuous.

My first bass purchase was through RR and I got a Squire P bass and Wolf bass combo (Ever heard of wolf? I have not seen since). Anyway, the neck twisted like a pretzel and the amp actually caught on fire. All for $500, which was quite a bit back in 1992.

In houston I have had good luck selling gear at Music Go Round. Or try classifieds at TB, Bassgear, or/and Harmony Central.