Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp service / repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have a Peavey TKO115 from the 80's. It works fine for the most part, but has a couple of issues. Without going into detail, I think they are relatively minor problems. The problems are intermittent and are probably caused by dirt and dust. I've asked people about it before and been told that a tech just needs to open it up and clean it, check connections and it should be fine. Is this something that can be done by anybody who works on amps, or do I need to find an official Peavey repair tech?

2. I think your warranty is over.... anyone (qualified) who works on amps.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Send a PM to Funkster, he has one or two of those
    right now he was working on, I think.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    What problems are you having?

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

The main problem: At random times while playing, the amp will become very quiet and any sound that it does make will be very distorted. When it does this, I've found that messing with both the pre and post gain knobs seem to make it better - what happens is, I crank both gains and play a note - it will be quiet and distorted - I crank up the volume on my bass and play an open E hard - (I think it crackles just a bit) and then hits you with an E so loud and clear that about knocks you out of your chair and then everything is fine again, no distortion set the volume anyway you want. Everything is fine. But eventually, it will do it again and you have to crank everything to full volume and hit a super loud note to make it play again. This must drive the neighbors nuts. It drives me nuts.

the smaller problem: This amp has two input jacks. One of them (I think) has a tendency to "crackle" (like a bad cable) if the cable gets moved.

I've been told it could be as simple as clean the gain pots. When I look at the back of the amp, the actually amplifier part - it is covered with dust. I'm sure it's filthy inside.

6. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    That's very likely. You should be able to try that yourself. Just get a can of Deoxit (I think I spelled that right!) and spray all the pots.

It could also be a broken solder connection on one of the jacks or a pot. If you know how to solder, you could open it up and check all the solder connections.

If you don't want to work on it yourself, take the chassis out of the cabinet and send it in to the Peavey repair center. You could try a local tech, but if you send it back it will be fixed right.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Where do I find Deoxit?

I have an old Nikko HiFi that needs a makeover!

8. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
  9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's made by Caig Laboratories: http://www.caig.com/. CaiLube is good for pots because it also lubricates the wiper contact on the resistive element.

Before using any fluid cleaner, blow or vacuum away as much dust as possible. Otherwise, the fluid will cake it up.